Can test kits expire?

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Ok.....I am getting the exact same results on my tests, even after water changes. The only thing I can find is a lot number (using API ) . I am debating on whether or not to go out and more bottles.

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Hello,
I currently have two master test kits of different brands.(I have also been looking into test kit expiration recently)
Apparently test kits (The dropper ones) should be used up until the fifth year of manufacture. (I dont know if this also means the actual tests wont work by then,or thats just a random date they state for you to have to buy new ones) but most people would probably have used the test kit by then anyway.

The only test that 'goes off' is the Nitrate one, (You havent said what you were testing for) a powder is mixed into the Reagent bottle,(Which is why you have to really shake it before doing the test) Over time the powder can settle together at the bottom of the bottle,which in turn when you add it to your test tube will NOT give you an accurate reading. Keeping the bottles in an elevated temperature also plays a part.

None of the other tests seem to 'go off' though,
Hope this is of some help.*BOUNCINGS

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
The weird thing is that the next test I did, all my #'s went down. I am wondering if didn't screw them up somehow last night. My brother-in-law came over with my brand new niece so I think I may have goofed while not paying complete attention. It was a good question though and I thank all of you for your input.

Seeing my testing stuff is several years old, I will be buying new this weekend anyways just to make sure.

Dec 3, 2007
I know that some test kits are vulnerable to false readings under certain circumstances, like if chemical additives, treatments or water conditioners have been recently used. I haven't heard anything bad about the API kits, but it's something to consider if you get suspicious readings.