Can tiger barbs be tamed?

Mrs.K

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2007
CT
Ok so I have these two little mean tiger barbs in my 55 gal... I see they are always chasing my little platty, I was wondering if there's such thing as taming them... they constantly chase him around and I'm afraid they may hurt it... any advice?...:confused:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
We'll go on the theory that "flush them" was a joke...

To answer the OP:

2 Tiger Barbs will be a terror in any tank. They will feel like their school isn't big enough, and will try to "recruit" other fish. If you want them to chill out and play amongst themselves, they need to be in a group od at least 8-10.

~JW

Mrs.K

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2007
CT
:cool: ...thanks for all the help... now, once I'm done cycling and my tank is ready for more fish, will the barbs that are already there become territorial and pick on the new barbs??

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
The time difference in adding them won't matter. They'll establish the same pecking order they would have if they had been added at the same time.

If you really want to make sure there's no "home court advantage" then move the decorations in the tank around when you add the new fish (you can move them back after a week or so), but I wouldn't worry about it.

~JW