can you buy..

L

litlpnoi

can you buy something or is there something for your tank to decrease the water temperature that you want? i only have a heater and my temp says its at 80. it wont go down.. my heater justs turns on at the selected temp. so i picked 76degrees. then i thought.. the heater.. only heats.. *laughingc .... soo is there an item your can buy to decrease your waters temp to 76?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can buy a chiller, but it's really expensive (like well over $100). 80 isn't that high for fish... you can try turning the heater down, it might run a little higher than it says.

L

litlpnoi

what the feezies?! over $$100 ... wow.... oh. before i had the heater.. it was already 80... so. yeah. um.. is that the cheapest "chiller"??

to be honest.. it only says hi and low. if you want to adjust the temp. soo.. i left it alone in the middle

Last edited by a moderator:
L

litlpnoi

well thx guys. :p actually.. i looked at my thermom. its uh..somewhere between 75- 79.. lol. so all i had to do was turn my heater down :D.. i think.. or i think its just the weather.. :/ in that case.. ill just leave it as it is.a constant 75- 79... my thermom sux.. its one of those regular thermometers that u put in ur mouth and stuff but for your fish.. so i cant really make it out... i just hope the ... err. red liquid doesnt go up and down..

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Chillers are very expensive from 1200 down to 100 or so. Not worth the investment unless you live in hell or something. Here are some simple ways to lower the temp of the water. I live in cali and have only turned AC on twice to cool tank in emergency situations. Here are cooling methods:

1. Take off the hood/cover of the tank. Invest in a cheap screen cover to prevent fish from jumping from tank

2. Buy a tower fan or a box fan and place it so that it will blow air across top of tank. I have a 40 " tower fan next to my tank and it blows the cool air across the top and on the sides cooling it slightly.

3. If your area provides good breeze through the day open all windows and allow good circulation to cool tank down.

4. If you really need to cool it down shut all windows and turn on AC this is most effective way for hot climate areas.

5. If tank gets direct sunlight or indirect(through glass window/door) move tank into shaded area or cover window/glass to prevent sun heating water.

6. If all else fails you can do a water change but that is extreme just to lower temperatures.

Like it has been stated 80 degrees is fine. I only worry when i see it climb above 80. 82-84 is where i have been told to raise temp to get guppies to give birth. Mine stays between 78-80 all day and night.