Can you help me fill my tank?

Oct 18, 2011
Miami, FL
I have a 10g freshwater tank. Live plants, 3 platys or platies lol and a betta. I plan on adding about 4 neon tetras and that's it.
I do think the tank looks empty and the fish need more places to hide but I don't know what else to add in.

Can you help? I have attached a pic that I took with my cell.

TIA

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You could get some more plants - either silk, plastic and/or real. There are also some fake floating plants that would round out the picture and you might consider a patch of fake grass of some type in the event you ever have some fry. With the neons it would fill in the tank nicely IMO. Actually, except for the fact that I have mollies instead of platies in my 10g , it is stocked exactly the same. It is an easy tank to maintain.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
This is just my opinion and would require you to have an Open top i believe.. But tall Lucky Bamboo Looks awesome.. if you have the lighting id go dwarf hairgrass.. but it can be tricky to grow. Also floating water lettuce gives the betta something to hang out in.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
anything med-high light isnt best for beginners. more money and time put into it than should be in case the person decides not to go that route.

-driftwood with some java fern tied to it (use fishing line, but make sure to not leave any strands out cause fish can get caught up in it and die)
-look up java moss wall :) their beautiful once they grow in, but mind the moss grows suuuper slow, but i am sure someone on the forum could send you some.
-anacharis is an easy plant and to make more you break off the top of a healthy plant and plant it and itll root :)
-wentiis are low-med light but they have red tinted ones and green, to add some color.
-anubis has large leaves for the betta to hide under if nervous

rocks and driftwood are great additions to make a tank look natural, and you can mix live with fake plants. the java moss will be great for any fry born to hide in, btw, leaves more of a chance for them to survive.
then you could find some larger river stones (like half palm sized ones that are natural colored) to add some variation of shapes to the tank as well

i would not use bamboo...i dk if its 100% aquatic.. you have to have most the stalk out of water and idk if the bottom rots off

any driftwood you use from outside (make sure its driftwood first and not some rotting wood. go to lake or river.) you need to boil it really good before putting it in tank to kill off anything maybe growin up on it.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
Real bamboo is not aquatic however Lucky Bamboo is semi i have the bottom of the bamboo planted in my aquarium 4 inches from the top of the water and the rest sticks out the top.. is why i said Open Aquarium. i have new leaves popping up all the time.. and its growing good.. so donno no rotting on mine.