Can you identify my fish please??

May 29, 2005
Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Hi, I bought some fish and was told that they were "albino beacons", but I can't find any info about them. The lfs I got them from also calls African Dwarf Frogs 'Congo Frogs', so I think they make up their own names! The fish is a hardy community fish, seems to be a top swimmer, and is white or see-through. You can clearly see its spine. It's about a centimetre long. I THINK it may be a tetra of some kind?? Can anyone help??

I think I have attached a photo of it! Actually there are two in the photo, it is not some two headed freak!!

Thanks a million!!

Attachments

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
They look very much like young albino Pristellas to me. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure because they've got the body type, and the yellow band on the dorsal fins, with a milky-white band on top (that would normally be black). Pristellas are normally see-through, hence their other name, x-ray tetras.

Very nice little guys, one of my personal favorites as far as tetras go - they should get less shy and more active as they get used to everything. And yeah, they're pretty damn hardy. I've had three of these guys (the non-albino variety) for prolly a year and a half now, and never have I had a problem with them.

Last edited:
May 29, 2005
Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Thanks for all the help! It is very confusing - and a lot of the names seem to be the same fish with different monikers!! Thanks again. I've decided to stick with the name beacon fish and treat them as a tetra!!!! They seem to be doing ok on it for the moment.