Can you identify these things?!?!

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I started a small aquarium to breed the little snails so I could feed my Spotted Green Puffer. I ended up switching to a 10 gallon tank. Right about that time, the first batch of eggs started hatching. Along with the snails, these thin worm like things came. Anyone know what they are? Thanks.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/msheaffer02/100_1973.jpg?t=1168209270

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, they're planaria. They're not harmful.

In a snail tank, they'll be hard to get rid of, as most of the treatments that kill them will also kill the snails. While feeding less in a fish tank will help, that's not what you want to do in a snail breeding setup.

The only thing I can think of that would work would to be put a paradise fish in the snail breeding tank for a while, but that's not great if you're not into paradise fish :)

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Thanks

Can I keep a paradise in there forever, or will it start eating the snails?

Are bettas part of the same family?

Is there any other types of fish I could use? I know a couple articles said there are several different kinds of catfish that will eat them, but I am worried about them then going after the sanils.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Also.....I found an article that says Apple snails are a natural predator of these worms. And upon further investigating, it appears that another name for apple snails are mystery snails - Is that true?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could keep a paradise fish in there indefinitely. They're one fish I have heard that will clean them up. I don't think a betta would work, though. As far as I know, a paradise fish won't eat the snails.

Apple snails and mystery snails aren't the same thing. You can check out The Apple Snail (Ampullariidae) Website for info on telling the difference between them.