Can you recommend a catfish?

J-D

New Fish
Apr 30, 2006
I'm gradually filling my 127 litre tank and have decided my next addition should be a catfish...can anyone recommend which type I should go for? The way i'm planning it he will be living with pristella and cardinal tetras and dwarf gouramis (although all I have at the moment is the pristellas). I don't think I want more than one so he'd have to be a type who likes being a loner, and I wouldn't want him to get too big, what with all the other fish in the tank being pretty small ones, say 5-6 inch max. The tank is 3 feet by 1 with small gravel substrate and I have a perfect hiding place in the form of a broken pot. The tank's only been populated for four weeks so far...

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Clown pleco, mine is cool here is a pic

or a school of cory's which are my favorite, i have 6 spotted julis in one tank and 6 cory sterbai's in another tank, heres a pic of the spotteds

oh bw the clown pleco grows to only 4-5 inches, and the spotted about 1.5-2 inches

J-D

New Fish
Apr 30, 2006
wow thanks for your suggestions guys and the great pics...

in answer to your question guppy newbe (by the way your cat of the feline variety is beautiful!) i'm just looking for someone to sweep up a bit and add some activity to the bottom of the tank.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Got it. I missed that part. Thanks.

Cories will add the activity but will require (as stated before) more than one, at least 3. A pleco will be good for algae but they dont tend to be very active. Others like Flying Foxes and Siamese Algae Eaters tend to be more active but have also been known to be aggressive. I reccomend taking a look online at these different fish and figureing out the best one for your tank.

And thanks!! :D Dale is the name of the kitty. He is my little ham. His eyes are blue (dont know if you can tell from the pic).

tank_angel

Small Fish
May 7, 2006
St.Thomas, Ont
a whiptail is a great adition since u have a big tank and they are really cool looking but if ur looking for sumpthing smaller try a albino catfish there small and at higher temps there very active swimmers

J-D

New Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions...I think I'm even more confused now - I just want them all!! I arrived at the fish shop yesterday at the same time as a new shipment of cats so I'll go and have a look at what they've got once they're all unpacked...I'll keep you posted!

Thanks