Canister cleaning?

Oct 3, 2007
Misawa Japan
ok I have a canister filter, how often should i clean it out and how to. should i rinse it out with fresh RO/Di monthly and what about the carbon how often should i replace it. my tank has just finished cycling and the new tenants just moved in.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
are you using live rock in your tank and what other water movement do you have? ie. powerheads etc. substrate? give us an idea of your set up and the inhabitants

Oct 3, 2007
Misawa Japan
are you using live rock in your tank and what other water movement do you have? ie. powerheads etc. substrate? give us an idea of your set up and the inhabitants
55G 48x13x20
Live rock 10lbs maybe 20
Live sand 20lbs I don't know what kind (I will get more, slowly)
x2 660 powerheads brand unk (more on the way)
Protien skimmer odyssea ps75 (cheap I know)
Canister filter Odyssea CFS4 (again CHEAP)

Livestock
Open brain (red)was bleaching but color is coming back
Bubble coral
Northen red Anemone (not looking good since the move)
False perc
x3 Blue/Green Chromis
Some sort of clam (hitchhicker)

Plus another Anemone hichhicker, it's clear and about 1/8th inch across. I don't think it's a aiptasia because the tentacles are short, the aiptasia's are long right? I'll keep a close eye on it.

here are some pics
needlepimp/Kevin - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Sorry Kevin I just realized that we were discussing your tank a few threads back.....glad to hear that the brain is coming around, what about the bubble? You really need to get rid of some of that junk equipment and invest in a good protein skimmer and more live rock say another 30-50 lbs at least and some new substrate though that can wait until you get the rock which should be a priority at this point especially with those corals. Then get a better skimmer such as a remora hob...... the canister you are running is okay for running carbon but I wouldn't put anything else in it, is there bioballs in it? if so you can remove them gradually once you have more rock to do the biological filtration. I don't think I would clean it other than to rinse it with old tank water during your water changes which you need to be on top of given the low amount of filtration you currently have. Watch your parameters to ensure you don't have any spikes or build up of nitrates. good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think until you get more rock I would be tempted to only rinse the white off with tank water you are changing out and replace the carbon monthly.