Canister filters etc.

May 3, 2006
Hi, I will be putting a canister filter on my setup and currently am unsure of what to put in it and perhaps it isn't even a good idea to use a canister filter. I will be using live sand and rock in the tank. Should I put bio balls in the canister filter to help with biological filtration or not. I will be putting in a couple sponges for mechanical filtration and carbon for chemical filtration but am curious if it is a good idea to use bio-balls in there as well for added biological filtration. Thank you

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Normally Canisters are not recommended for most applications in SW because they can turn into "nitrate factories". What this basically means is the crud it catches still breaks down and produces Nitrates. The only way around that is to clean it on a VERY regular basis... like in the neighborhood of at LEAST once a week (more often better). Because of this issue a lot of people don't even run Mechanical filtration at all. Personally I haven't run any full time for about 8 years ;).

If it were me, I'd say a HOB (or better yet a sump with reactors) for Chemical only would be a better option.

Chris

May 3, 2006
What is a HOB and what are reactors and how do you place them in.

OK I already purchased the Rena filstar XP1. Perhaps I can just use this for chemical filtration and also use this for my return pump when I get a sump put in. I will just have to take all the sponge filters out of the canister and just leave in the carbon. Not sure if I can do that though. Thanks

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
HOB = Hang On Back just describes how something is used in referance to the tank. Think of Aqua Clear filters or the likes.

Reactors are just a specialized canister made soley for Chemical filtration Media. I don't have the links handy but doe a search for Via Aqua Poly-Reactor or Two Little Fishes Phosban Reactor.

Unfortunately a canister won't work long term (probsbly not at all actually) as a return pump. They aren't ment to push against any serious head pressure and if made to, they have a tendancy to burn out. You should be able to just run chemical media in the XP1.

Chris

May 3, 2006
SHeesh, I never even thought that the small head pressure of about 4' max would be a problem but I suppose soo. Canisters really are pointless when it comes to saltwater tanks. Maybe I will just run carbon in it for now. Thanks