Cant get my tank to cycle!

BigAl

New Fish
Sep 16, 2009
I decided to run a fishy cycle and its been 7 weeks and the ammonia is not going down. There is no nitrite or nitrate. I used Stress Zyme and its not working. Airater is on and regular water changes with conditioner. Any Ideas?

Feb 27, 2009
I decided to run a fishy cycle and its been 7 weeks and the ammonia is not going down. There is no nitrite or nitrate. I used Stress Zyme and its not working. Airater is on and regular water changes with conditioner. Any Ideas?
How much water are you changing? Make sure the new water is dechlorinated before you add it, or the chlorine may destroy your bacteria. Also make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank's water.

You should see at least nitrites (and nitrates by then) by 7 weeks if all is going well. What type of test kit are you using?

kezdoc09

Medium Fish
Jul 28, 2009
take the fish out, it will speed things up! its pretty mean to make them live in their own crap but all the while they are producing more and more the bacteria can't catch up, give the tank a break for a week or so and u should start seeing some results.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Go to your local fish store and ask them if you can have some gravel out of one of their tanks-kep it wet and hang it in your tank or put it in the bottom of your hang on filter... Then you can just dump it out when you tank is cycled..

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
take the fish out, it will speed things up! its pretty mean to make them live in their own crap but all the while they are producing more and more the bacteria can't catch up, give the tank a break for a week or so and u should start seeing some results.

Kezdoc, if he already has the fish, where is he going to keep them while the tank cycles? hmmm?? and it is indeed possible to do a fish-in cycle without fish death if you test the water daily, monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels. Water changes are key.

BigAl, don't take your fish out. What are your ammonia and nitrite readings at this time? You're not scrubbing out your filter box, are you, because if so you need to stop. That's a major location for the bacteria you need.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
even if the bacteria can't 'catch up' they should be producting measuarable nitrites by now.
Try taking some water to the LFS to make sure you are doing the test right and that the test is working right.
Make sure to condioning the water properly.
What are your amonia levels? For fish safty you want to keep them low which will lenghten the cycle because there is less food for the bacteria.
Some water additives will nuetraileze or bind ammonia and i think this can mess with tests, i forget how though

BigAl

New Fish
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks to everyone who wrote. I do a bi-weekly water change of 25% and condition the water before I replace it. The water is at the same temp as the tank. I use the 30 dollar Freshwater test kit. Im doing the tests right. I dont mess with the filter or try and clean it. I have 2 Tigar Barbs in a 10 gallon tank during the cycling process. I keep the ammonia levels around 1-2 ppm and im in week 9 with no trace of nitrite or nitrate. I used some stress zyme with no results.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Wow 9 weeks and still no nitrites? and still showing amonia? It's unlikly but i've heard of recals on some test kits, you could get your water tested at the store just to eliminate one factor.

When you change water you don't mess with the gravel? Does your water have chloramine? if so most water conditioners need twice the dosage.

Other then that looks like you might need to seed your tank some how(which you normally don't need to do). A fileter from a cycled tank or some gravel would work. I've heard most the good bactreia things you can buy don't work well but i think htere is one that can help if properly refridgerated.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would stop adding the "stress zyme" asap. Those chemicals can throw off your test results, so you may just be getting inaccurate readings.

My suggestion is to do a large water change, condition the water before adding it of course, then do NOT add the stress zyme anymore. Those are just wastes of money anyhow with little to no benefits in your tank. Or you could look into buying some bio spira, there's some info on it on my website linked below.

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
if you do get bio spira just make sure its kept refrigerated like missfishys link explain the packets also soposebly have an exparation date on them so it probly helps to check that but i have never used bio spira befor either