Can't Get PH to Raise Higher Than 7.8...HELP!

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
Hello,

As of now I have one green chromis, some snails, and some crabs inside my tank. After about a week or two my PH is still at 7.8. I have been adding Seachem marine buffer pretty much every single day and still the PH remains the same. I have changed the water twice so far but for some reason my PH will not go up. How can I get the PH to raise to the appropriate levels so I can start adding more fish? Someone please help!?!?!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What size Koralia, and what size tank is it? If it's the tank in your avatar, and it's enclosed, there may not be enough air getting to the tank. I can't really see from the picture, but an enclosed hood can cause problems. Open the hood for a few days, point the powerhead towards the surface and see if you get a higher pH.

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
I think its a size 2 koralia?...I'm not sure I can double check...its a 46 gallon bowfront...I just checked the PH and thankfully it was at 8.2....im not sure if thats because I JUST added the Seachem PH buffer like 30 min ago....I have some premixed saltwater ready cause I was going to change it becuase I heard that makes the PH go up...should i still change the water tommorow?

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think you'll need to add another powerhead to the tank. A single powerhead doesn't really create enough random current in a tank that size. One at the opposite end should help keeping the tank healthy.

Changing water will only make the pH go up if the pH in the new water is higher than in the old water. Have you checked the pH of the water change water?

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
naw i havent tried that....ill go check that now...and i was sticking with one power head cause my green chromis (the only fish i have in the tank) looked like he was struggling sometimes...then again im a begginer lol...i think ill need another one

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The saltwater you mix up should be well oxygenated while you're mixing it. A powerhead, or water pump keeping the water moving should help increase the pH. You could also check the alkalinity of the new water, just to make sure it's OK.

littlea8

Small Fish
Feb 28, 2009
i dont really have anything to keep it circulating?....is that okay that the PH is so low for the new water....wont that make my tank PH low?