can't keep SG constant

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
before i do a water change, i test the SG so i know what to shoot for when i add the new water...but i cant ever get it the same...for instance, yesterday the SG in my display tank was around 1.023, but when i added the new saltwater, it was around 1.018--so i began adding random amounts of salt, but it only raised to about 1.020.......i know its not good to have SG fluctuate like this
the same thing also happened in my Q tank, with the fish still in it...

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yes, the salt mixture should be fully disolved, mixed in a 5 gallon bucket usually the day before you plan to do a water change, let it sit, you can even go so far as to put a air pump or power head in there to help it along, i usually let my mix sit over night, then add it the next morning, adding not properly mixed salt will cause all sorts of problems for your tank/ kill tank inhabitants, plus it just isnt a good sign of a healthy STABLE( is the key word) system,
good luck
hope that helped

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i usually mix two 5 gallon buckets worth and let them run with a powerhead and a heater for a few hours...that way, i know the temp is accurate and not throwing the salinity. it depends on what kind of salt you use also, some brands dissolve much more quickly than others

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I usually mix a buckets worth, and add a large mugful that I always use to the bucket, and thus am always pretty similar. I then sling in a powerhead and leave overnight. I add a heater for the last couple of hours. Trying to add little bits of salt to raise SG is a painful process, and not a good idea.
Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate - is it a swing arm one? If so, get a better one.

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
I use instant ocean with the swing needle as well, but I found the best way to keep the salinity constant is to premix the saltwater in a bucket stirring it until all the salt dissolve then making sure you fill the tank completely up, remember salt doesn't evaporate if the water evaporates just add more de-chlorinated water and the salinity should be the same after the salt dissolves off the tank walls. However I'm an IDIOT so if anyone has anything to say towards my opinion please speak up if I gave misinformed advice.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Try the powerhead but get rid of the swing arm. Spend some money on a decent hydrometer. If you really want to be fussy calibrate against your lfs if the have a refractometer. It may not be 100% but at least you'll know where it sits , i.e. I always need to add .002...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No, you get a reasonable quality floating type. YOu then calibrate it against a refractometer. Floaters are rarely accurate, but I think they're at least consistntly wrong so you just need to add or subtract a constant. Swing arms, by their very design, are going to be flaky, especially if you're not careful and get air bubbles in them , corrosion or salt on the axle...