Carbon Filtration Pack is a Mystery

Jun 6, 2010
:confused::confused:Filter Question Hagen Elite Hush 5 Hang On Filter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got this and am more pleased than expected.

I think I know what to do about the foam replacement pads (change as seldom as possible and until then rinse in old tank water when absolutely necessary).

However the Carbon Filtration pack is a mystery. Do I replace it every two - 4 weeks? I read somewhere that NOT replacing carbon filters often enough actually produces a toxin more harmful than the toxins carbon would filter out to begin with.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2009
You only NEED to use carbon if you need to remove medication or want to remove tannins leaching from driftwood (the fish have no problems with the tannins, its just a personal preference).

The carbon is used up in a matter of days and is inert after that. There is no need to replace it on a set schedule. I've not used any carbon in over 20 yrs.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I cut the plastic backing on my filter cartiges and take out the carbon so that i get better flow then I put the fiters back in, my HOB uses 2 fiters and once a week to every 2 weeks I spray them out and havn't had any problems in over 2 years.