Catching a Damsel!!

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
Here is my problem. I have in my tank now a Percula Clown, Dwarf Coral Beauty Angel, 20 dwarf hermits, 20 snails, 2 emeral crabs, and 3 pepermint shrimp. What I need to do is remove the Blue Damsel. I want to get him out because he harasses my clown constantly, and he was just a test fish to start anyway. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to catch him. My tank is full of live rock, as you can see in the pic, and I don't wanna have to move or take anything out. And since he isn't gonna just swim in the net, I was wondering if someone had a good way to catch him. Thanks!!

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
A few more pics

Here is the first pic of my Percula, you can barely see him in the upper left hand corner. He is hard to shoot, he is constantly moving!

Here is a pic of my Coral Beauty and the damn damsel!

And here is the last pic of the whole tank, you can see all the crabs and the snails.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Uhh, tricky. I'm pretty good at catching fish, but that would be difficult, especially if he's spooked.
1. Drain water, move stuff. You don't want to do this, but if you're quick it's ok. Watch out if you have any sponges.
2. Make a trap, or buy one.
3. Make a semi trap, like a flower pot, when he's spooked and swims in, net the all of it

Good luck!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A couple of strategies I have heard for catching fish. First one is to have two nets. Put one behind a hole/bridge (I see you have a few), then chase it in with the other net, so it goes into one net or the other. Second one is to put some of its favorite food in a net, and wait for it to go in for the food.

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
I will try that. As of today, still not successful in catching him. No corals for me, fish only. I like watching the fish, corals to me are boring. I may try an anemone for my clown sometime in the future, but thats a maybe. I just want to get the damsel out and put a cardinal or 2 in there and maybe one other small fish with bright colors in there and that's it. Any suggestions for the last small colorful fish? I was thinkin a Royal Gramma. I want something that is peaceful, so let me know what everyone thinks! Thanks

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
Yes, it is a Corallife 130w fluorescent compact light. It has 2 65w bulbs with a reflector and built in cooling fans. It is on my 29g. They sell it all over the place, but I got mine from a ebay store. I will find the name of the person I got it from if you are interested in one. It is awesome!

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site