catching a mantis shrimp

flanders

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2005
k so after much denial .. i am pretty sure i have 3 mantis shrimp in my tank

yea

anyhow.. i dont know of a single death in the i can attribute to them yet but frankly i want them out

right now i am planning on pulling the rocks out of the tank and squirting fresh water into the holes to try to smoke him out

please let me know any other tactics you may have had success wiht

i am especially interested in any traps that may work .. as i just finished getting my rock into a decent formation 15 min ago and dont want to pull it apart if a trap will work
see

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/TRAPS.htm

oh yea and

ARRRRRRRRRRGH

Last edited:

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i would think a trap like this would work very well with some kind of a bait in it

top view

and the side veiw

the lines are flexable plastic peices that allow the shrimp to go into the box but not out of it

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
did anyone see the video awhile ago back on reef central where someone used a 9 volt and an M-80 to get rid of his mantis? it was sweet!!!
how the heck do you have 3 mantis in your tank? 3? are you just seeing triple or really unlucky?

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
yeah. i use a simalr method (coke bottle) to catch shrimp her is OZZ.

get a small 300ml or 600ml coke bottle cut the top off (where it starts to even out into a circle) then cut the bottom off. then invert the neck of the bottle into 1 end and cut another neck and insert it into the other end glue it or tie it in with fishing line (whatever is easy). then make lots of small holes (not so bit that your shrimp falls out). then stick some food inthere and leave it overnight.

when we go fishing we do the same with a 2l or 3l bottle to catch bait prawns, and small fish.

cheers aron.