Catching Camelback Shrimp

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Have noticed 2 camelback shrimp are eating my anemone.
Tried for 2 days to net them and its useless, their too fast.
Anyone have a proven way to trap shimp, instead of tearing down 200 lbs of live rock? I want these buggers out....

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Take a plastic pop bottle and cut the top off about a 1/4 of the way down the bottle and then flip the top around so the spout is going into the bottle and secure it. put some food into the back of the bottle and submerge it into the tank and leave it on the bottom overnight... make sure the cap is off.
the shrimp will get into the bottle easily but will have a hard time finding there way out and become trapped inside. Remove them in the morning or if your up at night.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the bottle trick helped me catch my wrasse in about 5 mins! i used a gatorade bottle since the mouth is a little bigger ;) not sure how well it works on shrimp tho

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm thinking that is a way to catch my 6 line........to relegate him to his new home in the 29g. hmmmm opening up the possiblity of a mandarin gobie once the pods gain a foot hold again in the main........

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
well I tried the soda bottle trick...work very well, I caught darn near everything in my tank...snails,hermits, and even a clown fish..
The two shrimp however, are leaning against a rock laughing their ass's off at me :( and picking anemone pieces out of their teeth

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
As I stated in the other thread chances are that the shrimp are cleaning the anemone of dead tissue and not actually killing the anemone and eating it.

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Lorna, I think you may be right he does have bad looking tentacles on the rim of his foot thats where the shrimp are picking. I have read on many sites that camel backs can and do eat soft coral and have been kbnown to eat anemones. I put the cony in a habitrail plastic box, to isolate him from any possiblity of being outside critters. I will see if he heals up. Other than a few bad looking tents..he seems as good as ever. Foot is brilliant orange, he still eats aggresively, and center tents ar full and healthy...will see what happens

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
the anemones that the resources state camelbacks eat is usually aiptaisia which is a small pest anemone and they really only eat it if it is very small......I doubt that a camelback would attack and eat a full sized condy or any other large anemone, though I could be wrong.