Catfish for New Tank

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We're about one month into the cycling process of our new 48 gallon tank. It is currently housing 2 small platties and 5 little African Lampeyes. As suggested by others, we are planning to move most or all of the fish that are currently in our 16 gallon tank (mainly tetras) into this new 48g. Before or after that, I was hoping to add some catfish and / or some shrimp to assist with algae-eating and leftover food scraps etc.

We've discussed Plecos -- and are still uncertain whether to get one. What about Cories and Shrimp. We currently have 1 3-striped Cory and 2 Otocinclus Vittatus. Both seem like great fish but the 3-striped (which is bigger) seems to be a better tank cleaner!

What do you suggest for bottom feeding fish / creatures?

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Cory like to be in groups, so maybe getting yours a few friends might help :) I have yet to find a bottom feeder as hard-working as a Cory.
For algae, Plecos are good. Since you already have Otos, have you considered a Drawk Pleco? Maybe a Clown or Rubberlip?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Go for a group of cories... they are always busy, and more active in a larger group. I think shrimp make better algae control than cories, but I've never had them so I don't really know. Otos are algae eaters, cories are bottom scavangers.