CF vs T5 Lighting

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I am thinking about going over to T5s on my 29g SW tank. My question I guess would be how much brighter will 96W of T5s be vs 130W CFs?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Tre, I already have the CFs and want a little more light without going to MHs. not really sure what one I am going to get. I don't want to spend more than 200 so that leaves me with a plethora of 96W fixtures to choose from. Suggestions? Doc Fos has the Nova extreme with lunar lights for 144 on sale ATM. Looking at this light tho I'm not very impressed with the reflectors or the lack there of I should say. Install new ones?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've always read that T5s with individual reflectors are much, much better. The Tek fixtures (by Sunlight supply) seem to be recommended highly. They do retrofit kits, if that's any help to you. Reefgeek.com has a selection of T5 setups with individual reflectors.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Holy crap those things are pricy..pfft at those prices you might as well go MH.

Just a 29 gal. Looking at my wallet, aka moth trap, I think I'm going to go for the Nova Extreme then upgrade the reflectors myself next month. Currently there are no corals in this tank. It's FOWL but I do want to start keeping more than zoas and mushrooms.