Chaeto?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
I've been thinking that Chaeto in my tank will help rid it of the buttloads of hair algae that I am currently taken over with... Do you think that the Cheato will be the solution to the hair algae problem? I'm going to start doing more frequent water changes as well, also cutting back on feeding...I was feeding my clownfish and shrimp daily, Ill cut that back to every other day.
Should this be the fix?
Also, when the hair algae dies...does it kinda just dissapear from the tank, or will it go white and rot in there? (So I'd need to pick it out right?)
thx

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
RO/DI water will eliminate the instance of phosphates and nitrates from entering your tank via top-offs and water changes, however even with RO/DI water nitrates and phophates can accumulate in a tank via other means, and these fuel nuisance algae.

To resolve an outbreak of nuisance algae you may have to utilize a combination of methods: 1. utilize RO/DI water as previously mentioned; 2. cut back on feeding, as you are doing, since many foods contain phosphates; 3. utilize macroalgae, such as chaeto, to compete against the hair algae; 4. use phosphate-removing media to keep phosphates at undetectable levels, 5. more water changes (increase frequency and/or percentage changed out), which you have already begun to do.

Manually remove as much of the hair algae as you can, even the dead stuff (since when it dies it will release phosphates as it decomposes which will fuel the hair algae which remains).

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
I took out the LR while doing a water change, scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Got rid of most of the hair algae that way. The time for the lights is now on at 3:15 or 3:30 (depending on when i get home from school) till 10:30ish. 8 hours is enough light for my corals right? (shrooms, GSP, cyanaria brain coral)
I got someone sending me chaeto. They sent it out today so it should be here tomorow or on friday i think!
now im going to be putting the chaeto in my HOB. it a fully black enclosed HOB but if i take off the lid, some light from my power compacts gets into the HOB, and i was thinking of adding a (i think) 25W little lightbulb thing I have and putting it on top of the HOB. would that be enough light for the chaeto? if not i can put it in my main display until i figure something else out

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
you can definitly keep it in the display..... as far as lighting your HOB fuge a clip-on reading light should do the trick
btw 8 hrs is plenty for the corals but you may wanna try what lorna suggested if what youve already tried doesnt work