Chameleon Betta?!

Aug 30, 2003
Australia
Visit site
I'm a newbie at keeping bettas... so i'm not too sure if bettas are capable of changing their fin colour. I bought a completely blue betta the other day. after 2 days, the betta's fins changed from being ENTIRELY blue to reddish blue... Is there something wrong with him?:confused:

Also, I would like to know more about breeding bettas. If anyone knows more about them, please tell me.

Thanks!!!:)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
For breeding bettas visit:
http://www.bettatalk.com

Yes, bettas can change fin color. Sometimes darker reds can come across as dark blue in low light. Blue/red betta combos are quite common, and the colors will vary according to diet, lighting and health of the betta.

If a betta goes pale quickly, it is usually a sign of illness.

Also, the fins tend to look white on the leading edge as they grow-out, this is normal.

Aug 30, 2003
Australia
Visit site
What color is rare in a betta? So i can look out for them in the stores.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by pale. Mine was dark blue, i mean i was observing it heaps in the store and i thought it was beautiful being a completely dark blue color so i got it. But now, the blue looks lighter and reddish. Is there anything i can do if it is sick?>

Also, when i was taking the betta back home with me, it went psycho and started thrashing the water heaps! It looked like it was trying to kill itself. Any reasons?

Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't worry the betta can change it's color depending on the food, the higher the concentration of red in it's food the better chance it will be redder. It was probably nervous in the bag on the way home and didn't like that it was being moved it is very normal. BUT you can stop this behavior by covering the bag and making it much darker, to prevent the betta from seeing.

Aug 30, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Even now, whenever i come close to Dusk (that;s his name) he thrashes around vigourously... is he still scared? how long does it take for him to warm up to me? is it normal if he spits out food from his mouth just after he puts them in?

Dusk's color has gone lighter nowadays. He had a little bubblenest at the corner of the tank yesterday but now i think after thrashing about so much, the nest is gone. I'm really worried about him.

Mar 11, 2003
Temperature has a lot to do with betta color. If you betta is in a warm area (they should be in at least 72*, but not above 82*, 78* is pretty good) they will be MUCH more bright and active. However, cold water can have devastating effects. If the betta is in water below 70*F, than its color drains, along with their immune system shutting down.

Alexa