chance in sex?

aidanchick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
In my boyfriends tank, it appears that a female platy has chanced into a male. Is it for real? Or could he just be sick and dying, or being harassed by other fish?

It's body also is apearing to be longer, kinda like a swordtail..
is he changing species too? .. (hehe)

Oct 22, 2002
I kinda doubt it.  
                       :-/
                              ::)
                                      :p

~ aquaticgypsy

aidanchick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
So you think it's dying?

There is only one other male in the tank, but there is 6 females... I think I heard somewhere that if there is a dominate one species, that some may chance sexes so that they can reproduce and mate? .. I'm not sure if like platys do that.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Platies and Swordtails do not change sex. Serial hermaphrodism seems reserved for most saltwater varieties, and some fish, like parrotfish, when the dominate male dies, the alpha female will become the new super-male and take over the harem.

What you most likely have is what is known as a "late" male.  In swordtails, mollies, and platies some males develop their secondary sexual characteristics early in life. These males are usually smaller than females, and not very long lived. Every now and again you'll get a "late" male, one that doesn't develop secondary sexual characteristics until it is a good 2" or so. They usually look like females.

I don't know the exact reason why, but my assumption is out of population pressure.  I've noticed in my own tanks at work when I raise baby livebearers in crowded tanks, the males will develop full secondary sexual characteristics and start harrassing females to mate when they're even less than an 1" in length. Females can be fertailized at fry, but it doesn't mean you'll get a very large or successful spawn from them. I gather the life cycle is "sped up" due to the population pressure to breed and die therefore to make way for the new broods.  

In less crowded tanks, there is no pressure, so the fish take longer to mature, thus reaching a larger size before reaching sexual matruity.  These large fish are usually throw the best spawn.
~~Colesea

Nov 3, 2005
New York
aidanchick said:
In my boyfriends tank, it appears that a female platy has chanced into a male. Is it for real? Or could he just be sick and dying, or being harassed by other fish?

It's body also is apearing to be longer, kinda like a swordtail..
is he changing species too? .. (hehe)

Doesnt a shark sound too big for a 10gal?