changing color???

Aug 2, 2003
my 3 gouramis are all turning brownish/black on their fins.... is it fin rot??????one of them is also brownish/black on its body....... what should i do?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Golden gourami by chance? I see a lot of Golden gouramis (including one of mine) with black areas on his fins but its never been a problem. If its anyhing else Im not quite sure, hope your gourami doesnt have a disease.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I've heard of gouramis darkening depending on whether they are spawning or wanting to mate. I believe I've also heard of them darkening for no reason and then clearing up.

But if it is just on the fins of two of them...I'm not sure. Do you notice any of the fins missing or shredded in appearance? If not, it probably isn't fin rot.

Does it look like they have been dusted with a bronzish powder across their backs?

At any rate, I might add some melafix and up the salt content a wee bit.

Good luck:) Hopefully its nothing! :)

Aug 2, 2003
they are sunburst gouramis.... orange with opaque fins usually......... the fins dont look shredded or missing or anything... they are jus a different color (brownish/black) i will try melafix and see if that helps at all..... thanx for the suggestions =) i hope its not a disease or anything!!!!!