Changing Eclipse cartridges

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Whats the longest you guys have used an Eclipse filter cartridge?

I've had mine for about 7 monthes. Theres a brown slimy gunk on the surface but it seems otherwise intact. I havent removed the old carbon though. Theres no smell from the cartridge.

I'm wondering if i should put a new one in? Or should I wait?

I heard that good bacteria will colonize your cartridge over time and I dont want to deplete the bacteria too much if i toss out the old cartridge.

thanks

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
If the filter gets too clogged up, it won't keep the water clean. Yes, filter media holds good bacteria, but rinsing out the cartridge would probably be a good idea.
I think it's suggested your rinse filter cartridges once a month and change them every two months. I could be wrong though, since I've never had an Eclipse.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Yeah..I do rinse out my cartridges. When I change the water each week, I rinse out the cartridge in the old tank water before putting it back in. The water flow is still good..it just looks brown on the top, not blue anymore.

I've been this with the same cartridge for about 7 monthes now..

Persimmon

Small Fish
Jan 31, 2006
Yikes, charcoal goes bad. You really don't need it unless you are taking out meds. I don't even use their filters. I filled the whole area with bio rings and towards the front, occasional quilt batting for a polish. The slime is the stuff you want, but if you have had your charcoal in there for 7 months, that is not good.

edited for typo

Last edited:

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmmm yeah the old charcoal is still in there...all these monthes.

i packed a mesh bag with Diamond black charcoal and put it under the filter to absorb any bad stuff though.

i never knew you could use bio rings instead of the filter cartridge. Do the bio rings do the same as a the cartridge? if you use bio rings..what do you use to pick up the big particles then?

thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think the Eclipse already has a Bio-Wheel on it anyway, so you don't need the ceramic rings.

I would always remove the carbon before I changed the filter. The blue stuff acts as a mechanical filter, which you do need. I would get rid of mine when the mesh started to shred or it just got too nasty even after rinsing.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Lotus,

So how long after putting in a new cartridge would you pull out the carbon?
Do you replace the carbon at all prior to discarding the whole cartridge?

I've been using Eclipses for a while now, and just replace the entire cartridge after 2 months. Is that too often?

Just curious. Those things aren't cheap, and I don't wanna waste them at all.

Big Vine

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I take out the carbon before I put it in the tank. It's a lot easier to remove the carbon when the filter is dry, just make a little slit in it, and shake the carbon out.

IMO, carbon isn't needed most of the time in most tanks. I very rarely use it.

If you really want to save money, do this for your Eclipse cartridges: http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=5

May 9, 2005
i personally DO use carbon. It gives the water a polished affect and by removing some dissolved organic compounds will help the bio filter perform better. This is purely personal choice, but in a new or overstocked tank I would definetly run it.
Now, for eclipse cartridges I have a few questions.
1. Are the basically the same in design as the normal EZ ones that go penguins?
2. Can I just fill the slot before the wheel with my own media of choice?
3. What is the best way to keep that media down in place?

Thanks