Changing Filter media

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I have a top fin 30 HOB Filter that I am noticing the filter pad need to be changed. I bought new one last night. I have the Type with the blue foam pad in front of it for bacterial growth. I just want to change the white pad behind it. I am wondering if I need to "seed" the new filter or just change it out? I also have the Eclise 3 Filter in hood system and the filter needs to be changed in it also. Do I need to float the filter even though it has a bio-wheel?

Thanks

MAHA

Last edited:

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
No, you should be able to just go ahead and change it. The blue pad is your biological and the white pad is your mechanical and chemical (activated charcoal). This can be rinsed and added with no issues.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I personally don't use carbon (charcoal) in any of my filters. And - I also don't buy the premade and expensive filter cartridge replacements either. I make my own. Here is a link as to how you can do it, too. Lotus posted this a while ago and even tho this is for a specific filter type, I bet you can get the idea on how to do this for your filter.
PG: DIY Penguin Filter Cartridges - PlantGeek.net
I agree with everyone else. I replace the "media" on my cartridges maybe twice a year when it gets ragged. I just swish and squeeze the gunk out every other water change or so (in tank water - not tap water) and elastic band it back on.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
First of Thanks to everyone that has responded.

I was noticing the water flow was slowing down out of my HOB filter. I stoped it and removed the Carbon and placed a 2nd blue pad in it. It flows a lot better now. If I dont need Carbon then I will run with out it for now.

On my 37G tank wiht the eclipse Systemm I just rinsed the filter in water then put it back in I can tell that it is slowing down too. I have new ones so I will replaces it then take the old one apart and just add the filter cloth.

I will take Pic's and Post them to help every one out.

MAHA