Changing gravel

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I'd like to know when it would be OK to change my gravel. I would imagine that I shouldn't until the tank is cycled....right? It's just that I've just decided that I really hate the gravel I chose. How long after it's cycled, can I change the gravel?

Thanks!

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
Well im not sure, but i would say if you want to change the gravel, its best to do it now and then let the tank cycle. How long has your tank been cycling ?

Oct 25, 2006
Coolville, Ohio
I would change it now, because waiting for the tank to cycle wont help. If you wait for the tank to cycle and then change the gravel, your tank will probably experience a mini-cycle. Changing the gravel during the cycle will just delay the cycle a little bit.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I'm embarrased to say that the tank is only 15 days old.........and I'm already wanting to change the decor! Since I'm cycling with fish, it makes it more complicated, too.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
I did it on my first tank. brought some broght blue gravel then decided i liked black better. changed the gravel a few days later and let the tank cycle.

How big is the tank... what are you cylcling it with (fish or ammonia ?)... do you have a test kit ?

I would definatly change it now and then monitor the ammonia and other levels until they peak and then eventually the ammonia will go down to 0.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
It's just a 6G tank with 2 platies and a cory catfish. I've been told now that catfish don't do well with ammonia, so I've been doing daily tests and partial water changes to keep the level down. Will changing the gravel now put even more stress on the fish than they've already got goin'?

I know what you mean 'bout the bright blue gravel.....I'm wishing now I went with a natural color. Should I really change it now?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
If you're only 2 weeks into the cycle i'd go ahead and change it now. if you wait to change the gravel until after your cycle is complete you'll risk having another mini cycle because a lot of bacteria is found in the gravel.