Changing Gravel

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
Hello i want ti change the gravel in my tank, what is the best way to do it, ie to i have to take the fish out to another tank or can i just let the water go low and shovel out what i can and just replace the gravel, any help i will be greatful for

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Whatever method you choose, the new gravel should be cleaned.
You can siphon the old gravel out thru a tube if it is not too coarse to fit thru. This could be done over several water changes and could take some time. The new gravel can be put into the tank after that a portion at a time. This method should allow the fish to be kept in the tank with a small risk of problems.
The quick way will be to remove the fish into a holding tank or tub then change out the gravel. This can be done in a few hours if the new gravel is clean and ready to go. The beneficial bacteria(bb)can be maintained by running the filter in the holding tank or if this is not practical, by keeping the filter media in the holding tank. Other ways of maintaining the bb is to run a sponge filter in the current set up for a couple of weeks to allow time for the bb to colonize it and then use this in the holding tank and later in the new gravel setup.
Any ornaments or plants will have bb on them and can be kept in the holding tank along with the fish for a few hours with a bubbler. You can also put some of the old filter media in a mesh bag as well.
May I ask why you wish to cahnge the gravel?