Changing Substrate

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
I am interested in changing my substrate from gravel (approx 1/4") to a sand. I've read that this would be a more suitable substrate for a cichlid tank.

My first question is what type of sand should I purchase. I've heard pros and cons about getting crushed coral ie: rough on cichlids' mouth and can play with water chemistry. What other options are there?

Secondly, what methode should I uise to completely replace the substrate without oversrtessing the fish? I've read that completet subsrtate changes can lead to an ich outbreak. Is this tru? What other things should I worry about?

Thanks

Luc

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Other options are pool filter sand and play sandbox sand. I'm not sure how great these types would be for cichlids. I just posted a thread about sand 2 minutes ago. Haha. I have many similar questions. Yes, it is true that ich can live in gravel in a dormant state. I'm going to place all my fish in bags (I save ever single bag I ever get from the pet store) and clean the tank as quickly as possible before adding the sand. Also, you can read my thread here: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-general-discussion/59976-switching-sand.html#post572814 as I have more questions about sand and you might learn a few more details beyond what you've asked. It is a brand new thread, so no one has replied. Good luck!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am interested in changing my substrate from gravel (approx 1/4") to a sand. I've read that this would be a more suitable substrate for a cichlid tank.

My first question is what type of sand should I purchase. I've heard pros and cons about getting crushed coral ie: rough on cichlids' mouth and can play with water chemistry. What other options are there?

Secondly, what methode should I uise to completely replace the substrate without oversrtessing the fish? I've read that completet subsrtate changes can lead to an ich outbreak. Is this tru? What other things should I worry about?

Thanks

Luc
I used play sand purchased from LOWES, 3 bucks for a 50lb bag cant be beat, crushed coral can effect the ph,gh, or kh I dont remember which one or how exactley.

I removed my fish, and put them in plastic containers drained the tank, removed the gravel, rinsed the sand very well then put the sand in the tank, filled the tank slowly to avoid stirring up the sand. Then I did a water change as soon as it was filled to remove more cloudy water. I waited another hour for it to clear up a little but then put the fish back in.

Beware you may go thru a mini cycle when you change out the substrate.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
What type pf chiclids?.... Africans, you can use crushed coral no problem and I recommend it.... My friend uses white marine sand in his community tank with no problems... Its very fine but I don't know if it effects chemistry.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol yea Africans like alkaline water. and I was referring to African cichlids, sorry I didn't realize the topic starter never specified what type of cichlids we're talking about...