changing tanks

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
Okay, so my large Silver Dollar seems to be all healthy again. He got some funk and almost died about 2 months ago. Spent 10 days on his side on the bottom of a bucket (with filter, heater, and air stone), before he started to get better. All the ulcers are now healed over, and he is eating normally now. My problem is that he hates the 20 G tank..don't blame him since he loved moving around the 55. He really doesn't move around much, just hangs in the back corners by some plants. I have been reluctant to move him back to the 55..didn't want to jinx things..and have him backslide. If I move him back, the 2 smaller ones would have to go with him. Should I leave well enough alone? Should I move some of the other fish from the 55 to the 20 if I move the Silver Dollars? Any advice would be appreciated. I feel sorry for this fish, he has been through the wringer.

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
I had the 20 set back up just for him...and broke the 55 completely down, bleached the heck out of everything, and re cycled...took alot of time. It has been a few months now though.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
well IMO since you've got the 55 all cleaned up and cycled, go for it. i know i'd feel the same way about taking a fish from a larger tank to a smaller one. sometime i think about the poor wild caught fish that have a huge lake and get reduced to a 55 gal or smaller.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think the silver dollars should be in the 55, those guys get very large and like lots of swimming room. The 20g is a bit heavily stocked with those guys in it, but it looks like the 55 will be fine.