Chasing Games

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Hi all. Just signed up to this site and I recently purchased a 55 gl tank. I have 4 goldies in it and I have recently noticed that two of my fish are chasing each other, and the other two fish around the tank at feeding time. I was just wondering is this normal behaviour or should i separate the culprits. I have seen on one site that certain fish can nip at other fish, but I have looked closely at all my fish and there are no missing pieces floating around the tank. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It only happens at feeding time and for a short while after.:confused:

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually re-arranged the tank this afternoon ( without knowing it might help) to give a bit more room to the fishies, but the chasing is still going on. I have a 10 gl tank and was considering separating the guilty parties. This would leave one of the little guys on his own.

Just spent the last few minutes observing the behaviour of my goldies and they are all happily swimming away. There not chasing or nipping each other so this is clearly a feeding issue. Could this be a dominance issue?

Last edited:

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
The four fish I have are all comets.They vary in size from 1 and a half inch to 2 and a half inches. They are not showing any breeding markings and this behaviour only happens at feeding time. I think it may be a dominance thing but none of their fins are damaged in any way. I watched them for a long time today and there is no biting going on, just a bit of nudging and chasing.:confused: :p

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
In that case, it's probably just fish being fish. Comets aren't usually aggressive but they can play rough. Nudging and chasing can be breeding attempts also but usually not with such small fish. Keep an eye on them for any signs of stress or injury but I wouldn't worry too much.