cheap LR

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Only problem now is the amount of choice. *twirlysmi

And I thought Haiti and Caribbean LR were one and the same, but they differentiate at this site. It appears that their caribbean is old lettucehead? corals that have been encrusted over, and the haiti looks more like what I imagine tabletop to be.

I've managed to ID the live rock I got from my lfs the other day as fiji buna branch, something I was charged $5.99 per/lb for uncured and something this site charges $2.25 per/lb for cured (plus shipping). Go figure.

The Ultra Premium Fiji Buna Branch looks like the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Hmmm... what's the difference between pre-cured and fully cured? I know what fully cured is, but what's pre-cured... like half cured?
I found talk of pre-cured live rock at another site. They offered this description. First it is scrubbed of macro algae and sponge material. Then it is suspended over egg crates and sprayed with salt water to remove mantis shrimp and bristle worms.

Both sites claim that their rock is mantis shrimp free so I assume this 'pre-curing' method is universal.

Flame

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Just to echo capslock. I just bought 50 lbs of cured LR from my LFS yesterday. It came in about 8 am. I placed it in a tank of fresh salt water after I had brushed all the lose stuff off at about noon. The Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite have sky rocketed this evening. I am about to do a complete water change and see what happens next.