Cheap solution for sump top-off

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I was at the hardware store Saturday and found this:
Pump.jpg

It is a battery operated pump about 3ft. long used to transfer heating oil and kerosene via siphon and operates on 2 D batteries. The black straight stick part goes into the source, the clear flexible tubing goes into the receiving container (This is the only pic on the web I could find, I didn't take a pic myself) and the entire thing is made of plastic. Anyway, I picked one up for $8 and it works awesome. I leave it in a 5 gallon water jug which sits hidden next to my tank in the corner and the flex tubing reaches around the back of the stand into the sump. When I need to top-off I flip the switch on the handle and in a few seconds it's back up to the correct level and I switch it off. They also sell a hand operated version that you squeeze to start the siphon for $3. This is sooo much better than pouring in water from a jug all the time and I can't believe I stumbled onto this. I bought it at Menards which is a large hardware store here in the midwest. I don't know if they're located all over but HD or Lowes would have the same thing.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Hmmm if it really does work I guess thats a neat find, never seen it before.

At work we use pumps and buckets... even a pond pump connected to a hose leading to the tank should do the job... but we do top offs on our 2 150 gallon displays by hand, its not too bad, but then again it is just about every day. How big is your tank?

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I use Hinckley and Schmidt water co. 5 gallon jugs to get my water and the spout opening is only about 2 inches no way to insert a powerhead and a power head would have to be plugged in the outlet every time to operate which is hard to reach easily, this is just a flip of a switch on the top handle. In my living room I dont want all kinds of pumps and hoses, something simple that can be hidden. My sump is tall and there is only a few inches of clearance between the top of it and the bottom of the tank and it is a pain to try to pour a jug in there to top it off.