Chemi-Pure

BlackGhost

Large Fish
May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Chemi-Pure
LONGER LIFE - Fish often live three to four times longer than in any other closed system, fresh or marine.
NECESSARY ORGANISMS - Allowed growth with no danger of pollution.
REMOVES OFFENSIVE ODORS
REAL SEA WATER OR ARTIFICIAL
REMOVES TOXIC ELEMENTS - Including Copper & Phenol
IMMEDIATE ACCLIMATION - with ravenous appetite.
QUICKER RESPONSES - Neurological reactions like fishes in natural habitat.
FRESHWATER FISHES - of all species thrive
ESPECIALLY GOOD FOR AFRICAN CICHLIDS & DISCUS
NO WATER CHANGE NECESSARY - for at least 5 years (length of test only) PERHAPS NEVER!
CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER - Always sparkling blue-white water
NO CLEANING - Necessary for health of fish.
CONSTANT pH - Always within the safe range
NO OSMOTIC SHOCK - 90% eliminated
NO ION ANTAGONISM
ECONOMICAL - Replacement only every four to six months makes initial cost very low - eliminates expensive water changes - fewer losses.
The greatest single discovery since fishkeeping began
Soft corals - Crustose Coralline Algaes - Caulerpas - Gorgonias - Seafans - other invertebrates and fish of all species thrive and grow luxuriously with no water change necessary using real seawater or the better imported mixes. This is not a claim, but fact, experienced by thousands of CHEMI-PURE users. In fact, salt water fish have spawned repeatedly in 5 year old water. CHEMI-PURE does not remove trace elements and is the only filter medium which aids in the natural balance of positive and negative charges, with an emphasis on the beneficial negative ion. CHEMI-PURE comes packed in pure polyester filter bags in sealed plastic bottles, called 1 unit, one of which is recommended for up to 40 gallons of water, and which is completely active for 4-6 months with no 'regeneration' or cleaning required and is cheaper than carbon or pads. The one filtration product we unreservedly recommend for use with CHEMI-PURE is the Poly-Filter, by Poly-Bio Marine! Use one pad above and one below the CHEMI-PURE bag. We also recommend the use of foam fractionation or "protein skimmers."
When fresh water or marine fish and invertebrates are taken from their natural habitat and maintained in a captive condition in an artificial closed system, water quality becomes the most critical factor affecting their health, longevity, and survival. Here is where the aquarium's life support system, consisting of biological, mechanical, and chemical filtration, working together as an integrated unit, becomes all-important. Unfortunately, water clarity, rather than quality, all too often becomes the most important goal of the individual aquarist. Obviously, optical clarity in the aquarium is certainly desirable from an aesthetic viewpoint and also to pass the all important light penetration and spectrum. However, crystal clear water in the fresh water or marine system does not mean that water quality is at an optimum level. We use micro filtration, diatomaceous earth, chemical filtration, sedimentation, ultraviolet sterilization, ozonization - often used at random, and without regard for what is actually being done to the ability of the water to actually sustain animal life. In many instances, the indiscriminate use of these various components of a life support system negate the good done by the other. Again, the only thing we seem to worry about is whether we have crystal clear water. The clarity is nice, but it does not necessarily represent healthy water - in fact, it can be lethal.
Now, what undoes this natural balance in the aquarium? Excess food, overcrowding, natural contaminants in the air, and a complete misunderstanding of the functions of filtration systems and, especially, a misapplication of those systems and materials.
The indiscriminate use of various filtration techniques combined with partial water changes can create the same effect upon the inhabitants of our aquariums. And, one of the greatest problems with keeping fresh or salt water fishes and invertebrates in a closed system aquarium is not even recognized by the average aquarist nor, indeed even by the many so-called professionals as existing. This little known condition is called ion antagonism.

Living organic matter, or protoplasm, is able to expand or shrink when under the influence of negative or positively charged ions. Expanded protoplasm is usually under the influence of a negative charge-and is shrunk by a positive charge.

Upsetting this natural negative positive ion balance can have disastrous effects on living organisms in any body of water. Fish eggs and plants are especially sensitive to either fresh or salt water. Fishes tend to be on the verge of shock when the positive ion outnumbers the negative - they are more irritable, restless, nervous, finicky eaters, have shorter life spans - in short, they are not happy fish!

Whereas medical research has termed the positive ion the "suicide" or "unhappy" ion, they have found the negative ion properly termed the "happy" ion. The natural balance between both negative and positive ions are present in air as well as water. In the medical research mentioned, patients were actually subjected to major surgery - using no anesthetic except a flood of almost all negatively charged ions through a regular anesthetic mask. They were completely awake, yet felt no pain whatsoever! Conversely, volunteers were isolated in a room which had an excess of positive ion circulated though the air. These subjects reported extreme melancholia, feelings of depression, and even a desire to suicide. When the positive was switched to negative ions, a feeling of elation was experienced, worry and doubt was cast aside, and everyone in the room felt wide awake and happy as though the room was flooded with fresh air. And that is exactly what happened. Have you ever walked outside after a thunder and rainstorm and noticed the exhilarating feeling - the marvelous odor of clean fresh air? The air is heavy with the negatively charge ions produced by the lighting. These ionized oxygen molecules are also present in water under the right conditions. And, no matter how hard we try to undo the balance Mother Nature creates, if left alone long enough, a body of water outdoors, under the influence of sun and air, will eventually grow enough algaes and natural micro-organisms to bring back into perfect balance the equilibrium which nature insists upon - if left alone by man. Now, this equilibrium is represented by the balance between the negative and positively charged oxygen molecules or, is brought into balance by these "magic" ions.

Healthy water is only brought about by the "proper application" of these artificial means which man has produced to replace the natural forces from which our aquariums are isolated. Now, all of these artificial means can be used to great advantage, if they are used in the right combination to enhance the natural forces at work even though the aquarium is isolated indoors. The most important of all these natural forces, indoors or out, is the negative-positive charged ion. Provided enough time, a given aquarium will obtain its own natural ionic balance, with a slight excess of negative ions however, the time required for this with all our misapplication of modern day filtration techniques is usually longer than the unfortunate inhabitants can tolerate.

Over the years, the most commonly used chemical filtration medium for cleaning water has been plain carbon filtration. Unfortunately, however if we use activated carbon strong enough to do any good for any length of time, it will also produce enough positive ions to throw the tank inhabitants into ion antagonism (shock).

Carbons, which are advertised as stabilized to not raise the pH are generally washed in phosphoric acid and will leach phosphate into your water. Also, almost all coconut shell carbons leach phosphate.

Dick Boyd, one of the nations most experienced marine aquarists, having been actively involved in the salt water hobby for over 50 years, began development of chemical filtration medium 40 years ago to solve the problems inherent in the marine aquarium. This ionic carbon filter medium acts mechanically as well as chemically, absorbing all the various elements of decomposition which would otherwise tend to pollute and eventually break down the comparatively delicate balance of either real or artificial sea water. During the past years Dick Boyd has continuously improved the compound to it's present form so that the use of Chemi-Pure filtration does away with the necessity of waiting for a natural ionic balance, it does not interfere with any of nature's processes but enhances the natural forces at work in the system.

The ionic exchange resins used in Chemi-Pure, are designed for a specific purpose. They exchange with the alkali excess from the extremely strong activated carbons used in Chemi-Pure and produce a majority of negatively charged electrons (ions). They remove excess acids and replace them, in effect, with a time-release alkali. They also remove ammonia, but only the excess beyond that which will promote nitrification.

Chemi-Pure is unlike any mechanical or chemical filtration material you have used before. Whether you are a fresh water or salt water enthusiast, it is something you will have to use, see, and test for yourself in order to believe the results. Chemi-Pure comes already packed in pure polyester filter bags in sealed plastic bottles which are termed one unit each also available in ½ units of 5oz. One unit is recommended for up to 40 gallons of water and which remains completely active for 4 to 6 months with no regeneration or cleaning required. We recommend that, in cases of heavy bio-load, that each unit of Chemi-Pure be replaced within 3 to 4 month period. Each bag of Chemi-Pure is simply removed from the plastic bottle and installed directly in your filter. It is pre-moistened and should be rinsed prior to use.

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
I use it on my freshwater. Basically it's the carbon component for salt water tanks (if you use a filter), it's supposed to last as long as what regular activated carbon would last on a fresh water tank, because regular activated carbon on a salt water tank would only last a max of 4 days. I don't have a salt water tank, but this is from my research of what I would need or do to take care of a salt water tank. I started using it on my fresh water tanks, because on fresh water tanks it lasts up to 2 months, which although the intial outlay is a little more the end result is you end up spending less. I've only just started using it. It's been a month and I haven't changed it, my water is still crystal clear and there are no "funny smells" like the planty earthy smell I sometimes get. So, yeah so far I'd say it's well worth the money at least on fresh water tanks (running it in a fluval fx5 filter atm)

So, basically it does what carbon does, but lasts longer, from what I read. If you aren't running a filter on your salt water tank......I don't know how you would use it.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
Yea i would just do it the natural way just do WC's and stuff.
I used something like that, I think it's what made me get my hair algae because once i used it i got hair algae but i helped alittle but i wouldn't do it again.
Good luck,
Nick

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you have stuff in your water that needs removing (heavy metals, phosphates) on a temporary basis, Poly-Filter works pretty well. I've only used it on FW, but it's pretty good.

Of course, you need to find the cause of whatever water quality problem you have, and solve it. :)

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
gotta ask, what do they mean by "water change", because I've never done a single "water change" I've always had water evaporate and have always felt the need to vacuum the subtrate Therefore, i've technically never done just a water change.

same with the "no cleaning", do they mean the tank or the carbon. I haven't even rinsed the bag in the month it's been there, so when it needs cleaning it probably needs replacing...

you have to think about the definitations before you start claiming lies, false advertising is not allowed, therefore you have to think what they mean versus what the rest of the hobby means by a "water change".

One interesting tid-bit that I noticed with this stuff. I cannot get my nitrates up for the plants. At best at the end of a week, with an overstocked tank, I only get 5ppm nitrates. (I put some fish poop factories(platys) in there to see if I could get the nitrates up for the plants because everything is a fine balance, which is why I say overstocked tank) I can only assume it's some sort of effect of the chemi-pure, because with regular carbon I could get it up to 20ppm by tank cleaning day without the extra fish.

Honestly, I would highly recommend this product for fresh water. When my chemi pure no longer works I'll be replacing it. Simply put, if you're going to use activated carbon, this is more cost effecient, so far it's lasted twice to three times as long as regular activated carbon and only costs one and half times that of the regular stuff. I cannot recommend for salt water because I don't have a salt water tank. Besides most people on this forum don't use a filter on their marine tank, thereby making the point mute.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Fishywishy.......the rules or procedures that are used in fresh water really are a lot different in saltwater. Frequent and regular waterchanges are necessary to replace trace minerals and calcium that are used up by the different animals in the tank. Also, in saltwater nitrates are a bad word as they promote the growth of nusiance algaes. Most saltwater tanks do not contain plants, some people grow macro algae in their sumps to remove nitrates and phosphates that can build up. Corals are animals that use calcium to build their skeletons.

Sep 19, 2006
Lorna, I've done a lot of research on marine tanks and couldn't agree more with what you said HOWEVER

...i said that:

Besides most people on this forum don't use a filter on their marine tank, thereby making the point mute.
and

Honestly, I would highly recommend this product for fresh water.
see the word fresh?

and

I cannot recommend for salt water because I don't have a salt water tank.

So, basically it does what carbon does, but lasts longer, from what I read. If you aren't running a filter on your salt water tank......I don't know how you would use it.

most importantly:

original poster said:
I just want to get some information on this and if anyone has used it and wants to say anything on this product.
*edit* I'm sure the original poster appreciated you calling snake oil although you've never used it, it's just the type of information they seemed to be looking for

thanks for using your reading comprehension skills....always appreciated, saves me from quoting myself.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Absolutely not getting into a war over semantics and/or venacular.

Enough said. Though one doesn't have to use snake oil in order to see it for what it is worth.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
from what I have read on this product, it simply work like activated carbon or poly filters.
The point to remember here is that filter such as this work on the ionic exchange. But the ions exchange in saltwater is much weaker than in freshwater (since the ionic bond in SW is stronger) and thus even the great poly filters are less effective in saltwater than in freshwater.

Rohn

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2006
The one filtration product we unreservedly recommend for use with CHEMI-PURE is the Poly-Filter, by Poly-Bio Marine! Use one pad above and one below the CHEMI-PURE bag. We also recommend the use of foam fractionation or "protein skimmers."
the company also makes vitamin fish food and chemicals to replace trace elements in water........

they did this experiment with real sea water not the mixed stuff most aquarists use

so if they only replaced water loss (from cleaning and evaporation) I can see how they did a no water change for 5 years

BOYS AND GIRLS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

my point is, I think they did technically, artificially keep the same technically speaking water for 5 years, but you'd have to buy more then just Boyd's chemi-pure to do this (however one could argue that after 5 years of replacing water loss that you did at least replace enough water to call it a change)

great carbon for freshwater though, my tank really is cleaner at the end of the week then it was with the normal Fluval activated carbon I had always used.

PS... I learned something new....where to stick the carbon if you aren't using a filter in a marine tank LOL (although not sure why you'd use both carbon and a poly-filter seems a bit overdone....especially 2 poly-filters)