Chemicals, Do I really need to buy them?

May 17, 2006
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I am fairly new to the Fish Tank World. When I go to the pet stores, they try to sell me all different chemical procucts, like Plant zyme for my live plants, and Cycle for the fish, and stress zyme , and 2 others, I guess they are for the ph balances and other acceptable levels for the fish. Are these expensive chemicals really necessary. I have heard that they generally are not, and that you can even substitute many of these wiht household items? Does anyone have anyexpierence with this. Any advice would be much appreciated...Thanks
Chris

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Hey, look, you're the newest member. I missed mine when I first joined. By the time I found my way to the bottom of the main page, someone else new had joined.

As far as chemicals, the experts will answer shortly, but it's a no on most of them. What you must have is de-chlorinator, and test kits, not the dip strip kind, but the water sample with drops kind. You should definately test for amonia, nitrites, and nitrates - different tests.

There are other things, like cycle, that you may or may not want and I'll leave that to the experts.

hcover

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I see someone has been doing their home work. Good job hcover.

Everything that hcover said is right. Cycle is a waist of money, I've tried it and so has a lot of people and none of us can tell that it ever did anything to help. The PH adjusters are garbage too. Most tropical fish (trops) will adapt to just about any PH within reason. This would be 6.0 to 8.o maybe even a little higher. A stable non fluctuating PH is far more important that one that is "right for the species" but fluctuates with every water change because you have to add chemicals to get it where you want it.

This is one of the truest statements I have ever read. "What you must have is de-chlorinator, and test kits, not the dip strip kind, but the water sample with drops kind. You should definately test for amonia, nitrites, and nitrates - different tests."

Welcome to the tank!
Must read for all beginners.
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31669

May 17, 2006
Also...

So then this NovAqua Tapwater Conditioner and AmQuel Water Conditioner are also unnecessary? Thanks so much for the input! I will get some pics up asap!
Chris

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well they both act as a dechlorinator. The amquel also detoxifies the ammonia by converting it to a non toxic form. How ever I do believe that product is one of the ones that converts it to a byproduct that can not be utilized by your biological filter. I may be wrong though.

Either way...you only need one. Personally I wouldn't use either of them.
"Instant conditioner and fish protector. Removes chlorine and toxic metals while adding protective skin coating and electrolytes. Use with every water change and anytime you add fish. Use one teaspoon per 10 gallons."

Normally products that claim they aid in the slime coat of fish, do this using an aloe based substance. Thus adding to rotting organics in your water adding the the ammonia level your biological filter must break down.

Look for a simple dechlorinator that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.

That is all you need.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
The water conditioner's are necessary, and your test kit's are necessary, most other things are wasted $$$. You water conditinoer is your dechlorinator, it removes chlorine and chloramine from your tap water, which isn't too healthy for fishies without being treated first.

Edit: I was late in posting, and Pure pretty much summed it all up, I just take too long to write things I think.

EDIT2:Also forgot to say Welcome to MyFishTank.net it rocks

Last edited:
May 8, 2006
Tennessee
I use "Start Right" as my water condtioner and it has worked fine for everyone I know. It does everything describe above. It removes Chlorine, Chloramine, and helps to promote a natural, protective slime coat.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I would watch products which "promote" slime coat -- that typically means it somehow irritates their skin/scales to promote it. I like having just clean water -- it's healthier imo. I use Prime but have used Amquel+ successfully also.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Seleya said:
I would watch products which "promote" slime coat -- that typically means it somehow irritates their skin/scales to promote it. I like having just clean water -- it's healthier imo. I use Prime but have used Amquel+ successfully also.
Start Right liquid is sodium thiosulfate ( common dechlorinator) and tetrasodium EDTA (common chelator).

AmQuel is sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate.

Start Right can be toxic if you significantly OD. Amquel purportedly is non-toxic in any amount.

Prime, I couldn't find the MSDS readily and will not be arsed with doing so. However, interpolating/inferring the chemistry from advertised claims indicates it to be a more concentrated version of one or more of the above.

Unconfirmed "electrolytes" are most likely sodium &/or potassium (if permanganate is added). One of the stock polymer "slime coat replacements" in conditioners is polyvinyl pyrrolidone and may be an additive in some treatments. Aloe Vera is useless and can be detrimental to your filter. Some "stress reducers" may even contain (ready for this?) clove oil!

Anyway, do more homework before endorsing, or aquiescing to use any given brand-name additive.

Me? Start Right crystals and Aquarisol (solution of copper sulfate @3.8% for general use on snails, ick, and occasional prophylactic net-dip). I know what I have and know what I'm getting.