cherry shrimp?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
What is the difference between ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp besides the colors? I went to my LFS and saw some cherry shrimp, but they're 6X as much as ghost shrimp. Are they more beneficial?

Jan 23, 2007
Michigan
I have some ghost shrimp that seem to just keep going. Its been longer than 2 months. Sometimes fun to watch them eat and see the food move into their stomachs and provide a little color.

Other than that they are good for practising observation excercises! Can be a pain to see if any have died or where they are in general.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
ghost shrimp are more 'violent'.u can breed cherry shrimp to make money.ive been working on it.i setup a 10g tank and just add 8cherry,2otto and 4 basboras macullata.now i got like 90 of them.i sell about 50+ shrimp a month.1 female can breed up to 20-25 offspring a month.and in just another month they are ready to be sell..........try it

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
ha, yeah the cherry shrimp are much larger (like twice the size) as ghost shrimp, but are 3.99 compared to .59 for ghost shrimp. I don't have the resources (or ambition) to breed the cherry shrimp so I don't see that in the near future. Do the ghost shrimp readily breed? I've had about 5 for a month and I have seen no pregos. would buying a FEW cherry shrimp really be worth it?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I have had the same ghost shrimp for 6 months now. One of them is actually getting quite large. They are very entertaining to watch. I wouldn't put any expensive shrimp in a tank with larger fish, they will just eat them.