chiclid behavior

izzy

New Fish
Aug 21, 2007
My 7 yr old son has a freshwater tank, which he originally filled with about 5 chiclids. I'm not sure of the exact type of chiclid, but they were orange, blue and yellow. They were constantly picking on each other, and now there is only one. A blue one. The last orange one died last week. The lone survivor is the largest one of the bunch. Now that he / she is alone, the fish is piling up gravel just outside of it's hiding place (a spongebob pineapple house). Why is the fish doing this, when none of them ever did it before?

izzy

New Fish
Aug 21, 2007
It's only a 2.5 gallon tank. I know that also contributed to the loss of fish, as I have heard that too many fish in a small environment will "naturally" correctly itself (fish will die). The current survivor is only about 1.5" long.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Woah... you had 5 cichlids in a 2.5 gallon?

That's like keeping 5 Labrador's in a closet...

Your fish are probably "assorted african cichlids" commonly sold in pet stores. None of those fish should be in a tank less than 15 gallons by themselves (and even that would be tight), let alone a group of 5... 5 would be adequate stocking for a 29 gallon if you were good at taking care of the tank.

I would recommend returning the one remaining cichlid (even one Labrador in a closet wouldn't be terribly happy), and picking up a fish that would be more appropriate for a tank that size. I keep a male betta in a 3 gallon, and it's actually one of my favorite tanks. Tons of personality, and fish that is behaving naturally because it has enough room.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
from what I have always been told by friends and a few stores is that cichlids like to be crowded to an extent. obviosly 5 in a 2.5g tank bad idea. But I have 11 cichlids in a 55 along with one bn and an angelicus cat. they all seem to be happy. no nipping besides among the same species. and several nests so I know they are comfortable and feel safe. but I think it all depends on the fish and the care of the tank.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well I wasn't saying it was over crowded just there are a few in there. I do plan on getting more but never thought about 22 in there. just about 15 or so.untill I get my 150-300gallon tank then about 100 cichlids maybe lol.

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
the crowding to reduce aggression doesnt apply to all cichlids..not the dwarfs..but WOW....5 cichlids in a 2.5 gal tank...WOW..what will "naturally" correct itself is toxic ammonia levels and kill off all those poor guys..please research in the future before purchasing fish...it REALLY lets you know what to expect in the future and not give you all this heartache and fish loss...and if you do keep a betta PLEASE make sure nitrite and ammonia levels ARE ZERO..and frequent weekly water changes are a MUST