Chiller Recommendations?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Hi All,

I know some of you are running chillers. I am looking into upgrading to a 90g tank which will necessitate metal halide and, I presume, a chiller. In order to plan for that eventuality, I am sort of researching chillers and am looking for your stories/advice. I think I probably need a 1/4hp~3000btu unit. I am also trying to decide if a drop in model or an inline model will be better.

Thoughts?

- Kevin

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We got an inline model, it's an Arctica (JBJ) 1/5 HP. It works well, so far. If I were choosing again, I think I'd go for one with the built-in heater/temp controller, just to simplify things. Eventually, we may need to get a separate temperature controller to coordinate the chiller and heaters.

What I didn't fullly realize when we got one was that it needs to go outside the stand, in a well-ventilated area. We're going to need to do some construction to put it behind the wall that's behind the tank, as there's no room next to the tank for it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
My room temp generally stays below 80, but it can get pretty hot in the summer and we will have days where it is 90ish inside (no a/c). I think with the Halides the tank temp will become a bit too warm.

I was aware that they cannot be placed in the stand, but maybe I don't need as a big a chiller as I was thinking if you are able to get by with 1/5hp Lotus. Your tank is a lot bigger than mine and it stays warmer there (though you do have a/c).

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think you really need to read the manufacturer's ratings on chillers. For example, while a chiller may be rated for a 100g on the box (or Web site), it may only be designed to chill that amount of water by 2 or 3 degrees. That obviously won't work if the room temp is at 90, and the tank is getting hot.

There must be some kind of calculator somewhere about choosing a chiller based on gallonage and BTU.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Yah, I have been trying to go through those. I was looking at a Current USA 1/4hp because it indicated it would cool a 120gal 20 degrees with an ambient temperature of 90 which seemed more than sufficient (though I imagine they are overrated like skimmers). I suppose more research is the way to go.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I see you are in CA. I was going to say my cooling fans seem to work pretty good for me with 500 watts of MH and 220 watts of VHO. Then again my basement stays in the low 70s at most. If I turn the AC off and it goes over 75, then the fans start struggling.