Chinese Algae Eaters?

ThePrep95

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
Just got one from the LFS and didn't notice that these guys get to be 10 inches large! My question is, does the inch of fish per gallon rule apply here? That seems to be a huge hit on my 30 gallon as I would have rather added a small school of something. Does the guy really account for 10 gallons of water?

May 12, 2006
I keep a Chineese algae eater because he does a good job and I have no experience with other algae eaters. I buy them small and when they get a bit bigger I exchange them. I didnt know that they start sucking on the mucus coat of the fish because I never let them get so large. Which algae eater does not do this that would be better suited to a smaller tank?

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
ohhh,for pond,i advise u to use pleco,they suck n suck,non-stop.N about ur chinese algae eater,im nt sure they will suck other fish mucus bt all i kno is when they grow older they will get aggresive,they will attack any fish on its way.Like igor da cat say,take it back,try otocinlus or other algae eater

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
gee pond newbe, id love to give (sell) you my pleco. He is about 4 inches long now, Im not sure if i can keep him in a tank that much longer anyways. If only i knew where u lived.