chlorine...chloramine...

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
well i'm confuseled...again... :)

i was using Tapsafe to 'fix' my tapwater...no worries...
it specified the same amount used for chlorine and chloramine...

i have now been given a goodly amount of Aquasafe...fair do's...
thing is...it indicates different amounts to be added...
depending on whether i have chlorine or chloramine present...

my local water board tell me that they've never heard of chloramine...
and that chlorine [CL2] is added...

my guy in the know at the lfs says that chloramine is being used...
and he has tested his tanks positive for it...

so...after much ado...my question is...

if i add the larger amount of Aquasafe to my tapwater...
[that is recommended for chloramine treatment]...
will it harm my fish if the water only has a chlorine additive...
[as for chlorine i should have added a lesser amount]... ???

phew...hurts my heed...maybe i'm a thinking too much... :):):)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It won't harm your fish if you use the chloramine dose. However, I couldn't find information on whether it neutralises the ammonia after it has broken the chlorine-ammonia bond in chloramine.

I would recommend you test the water that you have added this to, and make sure there's no ammonia in it before you add it to your tank. If there is ammonia, that means there is chloramine in your water, and you'll need to get a water conditioner that neturalises the ammonia.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Lotus said:
It won't harm your fish if you use the chloramine dose. However, I couldn't find information on whether it neutralises the ammonia after it has broken the chlorine-ammonia bond in chloramine.

I would recommend you test the water that you have added this to, and make sure there's no ammonia in it before you add it to your tank. If there is ammonia, that means there is chloramine in your water, and you'll need to get a water conditioner that neturalises the ammonia.
gotcha...many thanks...
as it turns out...i wasn't thinking too much... :):):)

quote here from tetra website...

''AquaSafe® makes tap water safe for your fish by neutralizing chlorine and heavy metals present in municipal water supplies. AquaSafe® also neutralizes chloramines by breaking down the bond between chlorine and ammonia while reducing both fish-toxic chlorine and ammonia components. In addition, AquaSafe® provides slime coating to help wounds heal and protect fish from abrasions.''

the innertesting word in that product-review is 'reducing'...
i'm going home to test for ammonia... :)

Last edited:

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Hmm I'm curious..is there any one tapwater conditioner that will neutralize choramine, chlorine, and ammonia? I'd rather just use one product instead of 2..

which tapwater conditioners do you guys use/prefer?

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Grymatta said:
Hmm I'm curious..is there any one tapwater conditioner that will neutralize choramine, chlorine, and ammonia? I'd rather just use one product instead of 2..

which tapwater conditioners do you guys use/prefer?
the products i use do neutralize both chlorine and chloramine...
my problem is that different amounts are required...
depending on which i have in my supply...and i don't know... :)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Wow, you certainly are thinking this through quite a bit!
Good questions though, and it would be quite useful to know the answers to these things.

I've always used a 2-in-1 tap-water conditioner that neutralizes both chlorine and chloramine---and I always follow the directions that assume that there is chloramine in the water...even if there is not.

So what if there's only chlorine in my water (and not chloramine)? I don't wanna take the risk that there is and use too low of a dosage to treat my water.

If ever in doubt, just go with the higher dosage to treat for both chlorine and chloramine. To me, "wasting" or using a few extra drops of the water conditioner each time I perform a water change is nothing when compared with the possibility of harming/losing fish because I only thought it necessary to treat for chlorine, when in fact chloramine was actually present too.

Big Vine

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Big Vine said:
Wow, you certainly are thinking this through quite a bit!
Good questions though, and it would be quite useful to know the answers to these things.
I've always used a 2-in-1 tap-water conditioner that neutralizes both chlorine and chloramine---and I always follow the directions that assume that there is chloramine in the water...even if there is not.
So what if there's only chlorine in my water (and not chloramine)? I don't wanna take the risk that there is and use too low of a dosage to treat my water.
If ever in doubt, just go with the higher dosage to treat for both chlorine and chloramine. To me, "wasting" or using a few extra drops of the water conditioner each time I perform a water change is nothing when compared with the possibility of harming/losing fish because I only thought it necessary to treat for chlorine, when in fact chloramine was actually present too.
Big Vine
good words dude...thanks for your mail...
we are singing from the same sheet...
i agree with all you say...

just to take it one step further tho...
my niggle is actually about adding 'not-needed' chemicals to my tank...
[i'm not at all concerned about 'wasting' or the cost]...
i know it may only be 5ml...but if it's not required...
i don't want it in my water... :):)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
cybersymes said:
my niggle is actually about adding 'not-needed' chemicals to my tank...
i know it may only be 5ml...but if it's not required...
i don't want it in my water... :):)
I hear ya!
Maybe I'm just paranoid or not as trusting as you are regarding the feedback you get from your public utilities people who are telling you about your tap-water parameters. ;)

Please let us know what you find out either way.
My guess is that most city water contains only chlorine, whereas there stands to be a greater chance of having chloramine in the water if you're in a more rural area.
Of course, I haven't a shred of evidence whatsoever to support this hypothesis! It's just a hunch. :rolleyes:
Aren't I helpful? Lol.

Anyway, good luck with everything.
Big Vine :)

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Big Vine said:
I hear ya!
Maybe I'm just paranoid or not as trusting as you are regarding the feedback you get from your public utilities people who are telling you about your tap-water parameters. ;)
Big Vine :)
man that's uncanny...you're right on my wavelength...
i so DON'T trust the guys at my water service... :)

as for city/rural...i'm on the edge...
at nine miles from the city center...i'm in the countryside... !!!
and i live in the CAPITAL ... :):)

check THAT out you 'thriving metropolis' types ... :):):)