chosing right number of males and females

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I am going to add about 6 Tiger barbs into my aquarium. How many of them should be males/females that they will not be agressive. Also, how easily they breed, I mean, if I get both males and females what is the chance to have fry?
I just do not feel experianced enough and I do not want overcrowd the tank. I get only males, would it be ok?

thank you

First question, what other fish do you have in your tank? I know that may sound silly, but I myself have NEVER had luck with barbs in a community tank...bad mean fish :eek:secondly, if you're just going to keep barbs, I would stick to mostly female and just a couple of males, because they are obviously more aggressive.

20 gallon FW: 1 red tailed loach, 6 tetras trying to find a DECENT looking clown loach-this tank desperately needs to be revamped, it's kinda pathetic for a zookeeper :rolleyes:

DREAM TANK: 150-200 gallon SW, coral and fish...man that would be awesome!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
in what size tank? Generally for barbs the whole female/male ratio isn't the big deal...its that you need to get enough of them to have a 'school' so they wont bother other fish in the tank...generally you dont want to keep fewer than 5 or 6 in a community setting.

Though...with a pictus and a raphael...and adding more fish I sure hope you have at least a 55g. Both the Raphael and the pictus are active fish that get up to 8 or 9 inches...and love to have their swimming room. Tiger barbs would probably be great tankmates for them!

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I have 40 g tank.
I have read that Pictus grows to 4-4.5" and Raphael up to 6"...

Do you think it will not be enough room for all of them (catfish and barbs) and it is better to keep only 2 of them, not to add more fish?

...how is about breeding...

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well their size isn't the biggest issue (though generally I see sizes bigger than what you posted) its because they have big attitudes and are fish who like their space and like space to swim.

If you're going to add tiger barbs I'd get at least 5 or 6...and its really your call on whether they'll all be ok long term in there. I think that your decision isnt necessarily whether the barbs will fit...but whether both the pictus and the raphael will be ok since they share the bottom level of the tank...leaving the top level open for whatever you want to do with it (within reason of course).

I suppose if it was my tank I'd probably go ahead and get them, monitor everyone's behavior and be sure I was doing good regular maintenance. You'll probably be just fine.

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I've never had problems with my tiger barbs. Neither have I had them breed in the four years I've had my guys. They do a courtship dance once in a while, but nothing ever comes out of it. Besides, even if they did breed in the tank, fry and eggs are a delicacy among fish and chances are they'd be eaten very fast.

It is rather difficult to tell apart gender in barbs anyway (females have larger, more swollen-looking abdomens and less red on their noses or something like that). I doubt you'd be able to tell it in young fish. Their temperament among males and females is not any different and the group does not get affected by the ratios