Chubby Platy

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
I got my 2 Sunset Platys just under a week ago, and one of them is chubby, more then the Red Platys and more then the other Sunset Platy, and it is always going after the food I put in the aquarium, they are all females, and there is no black spot behind the fin so I do not think that she is pregnant? Are some platys just chubby?

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
some platies gravid spot are very hard to see because of their coloring, are you sure shes not pregnant? i can just about tell my platy is pregnant when she goes to the top of the tank and the light sorta shows through her body, and thats how i can see her spot.

Also if you bought her from a lfs and she was in a tank with males then she is most definatly pregnant :D

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I would say that the gravid spot on a sunset platy is really a dark orange, rather than black (it starts to look more black when she's close to having the fry), but you still can't miss it. If I had a better camera Jake, I'd take a picture of mine for you so you could see what I mean. My sunset platy had fry about 2 or 3 weeks ago (can't remember exactly when), but she's got her spot back with another load on the way.