Cichilds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2007
Michigan
Ok, so I want to get some Electric Yellow Cichilds...I heard that they are quite interesting in behavior...I visited a Petco and watch them and did find them interesting...do they stay interesting once you get a tank for them? and is a 29g plenty of room for a couple of them?*thumbsups

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
They are interesting, even after you get them! Especially if you provide the correct enviornment for them.

I've kept yellow labs (electric yellows) in a 29gal before. Some will say don't do it, but i've seen it done pretty sucessful so i don't see a problem with it for a small group of them. I'd look at getting about 4-6.

If you do get them for that tank you won't be able to put much of anything else in there.

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I currently have three yellow labs in a 29 gal and it took me quite a bit of push n pull with them to make it a happy existence. I started out with six I think but turned out most were males so I had to take them back. I would recommend having only ONE male in a tank of this size. It is hard to sex them b/c really you only know once you see the females holding eggs. the male is getting quite big now (almost 3 1/2-4 inches) and there are some fry from two separate births fending for themselves in there. I am planning on upgrading soon so that I can hopefully keep a more varied array of mbuna.

The key is LOTS OF ROCKS and I even threw in some fake plants to break up line of sight. They are all really happy now and fat and colorful and get along quite well.

I did recently purchase a white-fin acei and he is getting along great with the others. His enthusiasm has actually encouraged the relatively shy yellow labs to come out more. I find that those four fish alone make it necessary for frequent water changes (I average about three within a two week time span).

Good Luck! :)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If you have a 29 available to you, the goldfish really need to be in there instead of the 10. The hillstream loach ~could~ go with the goldies if his specific needs are met as well without disrupting the goldies. Goldfish need more space than a 10 gallon provides and, if they are single-tails, really appreciate more room than a 29 allows.

Apr 10, 2007
Michigan
not to be rude or anything but i think the goldfish are fine in the 10g, they are happy and healthy and have grown to an appropriate size, i do not wish to move them out...and yes my newly accquired Hillstream is adapting just fine:cool:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What do you consider appropriate size? How do you rate happiness in a fish? I have goldfish which could not turn around in a 10.....

One's first responsibility when keeping creatures dependent upon themselves is to meet their needs foremost before acquiring others. 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon will not be successful long term unless great effort is made and even then stunting is inevitable. Hillstream loaches have very specific demands -- clean water, good parameters, aeration, current.... Basing how a fish acquired a couple of days ago is doing isn't realistic aside from continued life. Just food for thought....

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Matt> I think you would be best off if you decided what you wanted to explore and choose accordingly. If you'd like to keep cichlids (LOL, CMan, most cichlids bore me to tears -- it's so.... done already, even tho many people in the hobby now are totally enthralled with the little demons. Vanilla/chocolate ;) ). If you want to try cichlids, try them. Just don't keep them or any other fish in substandard conditions. You'll find most of us in the hobby tend to trade around (I won't say UP ;) ). I've kept garden variety tetras, Amazon biotope, "community" tanks, brackish, killies, rainbows, gobies (now *these* are fun!), livebearers (including rare/endangered species), and all sorts of stuff in between, even macrobrachium shrimp! The ones that needed to go, so I could try something different, went to friends or were sold at auctions to people who wanted them. You learn with each new thing you try and this hobby offers so many options!!! If goldfish aren't your thing, it doesn't mean they're "lame" :::ahem, littleman LOL::: ;), for many people they are cute wet pets or swimming flowers -- afterall, they are the first known domesticated fish purposely kept and bred for beauty and the forerunner of our hobby. If you wouldn't keep two oscars in a 10 gallon, why would you keep two goldfish?

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Goldfish really need more room than a 10g. One goldie shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 20g, and 2 goldies need at least a 29. Even the little comets(feeders) grow very quickly and can reach up to a foot in size. They are messy and need large tanks with excellent filtration and regular water changes. I would see about getting your goldies and hillstream into more appropriate housing, and in the meantime please be doing at least 2 water changes a week on your 10g.

Apr 10, 2007
Michigan
screw u seleya...my goldfish are just fine...and maybe ur cichlids bored u to tears cuz u didnt take care of them .*laughingc ...hmmm thats a thought...while my are interesting as hell to watch....so back off *******

Status
Not open for further replies.