Cichlid compatibility

Hoontar

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2008
Hey - I've got a 25 gallon tank, only contains 3 barbs and a "yellow lab" cichlid right now (roughly 7.5" fish total). I'm looking to purchase another cichlid (one of those common blue/black striped ones - forget the name) and was wondering if it will get along ok with the other fish - or if I should take anything into consideration when adding my next cichlid... I don't want it to duke it out with the other cichlid or eat the barbs!

Thanks for any advice.

Hoontar

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2008
Oddessa Barbs, there seems to be a lot of extra space in the tank, and my cichlid's growth has stabilized - I've also got a 50 gallon filter on it, still think it wouldn't work?

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
It's not so much the bioload as it is the actual space for cichlids(In your case, that is). They like to have their own territory and if another fish is even creeping into their area they'll get very aggressive. So if the new cichlid wants the entire 25 as his own territory you'll have some aggression issues.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
African cichlids are easiest to manage in a larger tank 50G+ , but that debate is long over. Still I wouldn't recommend any more african cichlids, nor do I recommend you keep yours in a 25 with other fish, if you do it's okay though