cichlid, oscar, convict??

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
i am new to all of this aquarium stuff and just got a 75g from a friend. i want to put a couple of large, colorful, and aggressive fish in there that are social and swim around frequently as well. i was reading through some forums and saw things about cichlids, oscars, and convicts. what is the difference between all of these? i would like to put some bright blue aggressive fish if that is possible:confused:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I suggest doing alot of research before you worry about stocking, sounds like you are new to fish (or cichlids at least) and cichlids are a wide variety of fish. Researching will help you pick the right fish the first time instead of settling for a fish and finding something better in a few months.

Cichlids is a general catagory, there are cichlids all over the world, Convicts and Oscars are South/Central american cichlids, I think by 'cichlids' you are referring to African cichlids, particularly Lake Malawi Cichlids. They are the most colorful and quite aggressive. Probably what you are looking for.

I suggest posting in the cichlid forums, I am sure Cichlid Man and the other cichlid people can give you much better advice than I can since I am still fairly new to cichlids (have 2 oscars and an electric blue jack dempsey and planning a Mbuna tank).

Good luck and do as much research as possible about general tanks, cichlid tanks, types of cichlids, biotopes, anything and everything before you set up this tank.