Cichlid Question

May 30, 2011
Hi, I was wondering what kind of Cichlid I can put in my 15 gallon tank. Currently in there I got a female dwarf gourami,3 bamboo shrimp and a rainbow shark.

Real quick like the Rainbow Shark is gonna be transfered in a couple days to my 55 gallon that I just set up a week ago and letting it cycle. So its not gonna be in there for much longer.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I do not know much about cichlids, but it seems to me they would need the 55g tank and not the 15g and I also understand you need to decided between African and South American. Someone is sure to chime in soon with some knowledge.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
There really aren't any cichlids that would be appropriate with the gourami in your 15g. 15 gallons is pretty small, and there aren't many cichlids that would be appropriate in a 15 all by themselves. You could get away with some of the smaller shell dwellers in a 15, but they'd beat up your gourami and shrimp while defending their territory.

What do you mean by "letting your 55 cycle"? Are you adding ammonia to it?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I wouldn't add a cichlid at all, if you are planning to do Africans in that 55 you could add some juvi E. yellows (yellow labs) they are passive and slow growers so you would have a few months till you had issues. I again would only advise this if you were going to have that 55 up by the end of summer and only if you planed to start an african tank.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Orion ! - blimey - still here ? - lol

In answer to the thread question - "Any single Cichlid you like more than the fish you have now - cos it will eat them" - the tank size alone will provoke that response from the newcomer