Cichlids and Betta's??

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
We are getting 2 Cichlids to go in the 10 gallon with the betta. Is this an okay thing to do? The guy who has them said we can get 4 of them and then move them when they get bigger.

My idea is to get a few of them keep them with the betta. Until they are bigger and then i'll move them to the 65/55 gallon tank we are building. There will be 2 sharks and a catfish in there also.

Do you think a 10 gallon will be okay for the time being? Also do you think the new tank will be too overstocked?

thanks

angie

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Well, it really depends on what kind of cichlids they are. Is the betta male or female?

I have 2 female bettas in with my Angels and they have always gotten along great. I have had female bettas in with almost evey fish I've kept. They never really bother anyone.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I would NIX the male betta with Cichlids concept. Both are very territorial and the betta would not be able to defend himself (poor swimmers) against them if they decide to attack. Maybe pick-up a 2 or 5gal tank for the betta, he would be happier with his own turf. Then you could dedicate your 10gal to Cichlids only if you like.