Cichlids and Catfish!

Mar 14, 2011
Hey all!!
So, the people at the Aquatic store we went to didn't mention anything about a problem, but I have 2 Convict Cichlids, 2 Turquoise Severums, and one Sun Catfish in a tank together. They are all 2-3 inches or smaller. And after doing some research, I was wondering if I should be worried about any problems between the 5 fish. This is our first tank, although we have a large pond full of fish in our backyard. Any advice would help! thanks!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
well size of tank would be helpful...

You do realize they won't stay 2-3" for very long...

Hopefully you have 2 female convicts and that will reduce aggression the same with the sevrums, if your tank is all females then you shouldn't have any aggression issues.

what kind of catfish?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Sometimes fish pick at each other and are quite agressive, sometimes they are fine. i've kept some seriously mean fish before all together and never had a problem. They kept to themselves and sometimes would challenge turf, but nothing major.

Just keep an eye on them and if it looks like they are getting really agressive, separate them and take them back.

Mar 14, 2011
They are all in a 20 gallon tank. The catfish is a Sun Catfish / Two Spotted catfish.. I have seen them called both names. We have a bigger tank for when he grows, it is just not set up yet. Not sure the sex on any of the fish, although one of the severums is quite smaller than the other.
The catfish has been recently laying/resting horizontally in a plant, resembling a dead fish. When we reached in, he started to swim around, but then returned to his spot in the plant. Just wondering if we should be worried? Any advice would help, thanks!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I had a suncat in with my africans in my 55 and he would do the same thing, either be standing on his tail in the plants or buried inside them. they hide when they are scared/stressed. he may not be the best catfish for that tank. I traded mine in for a tiger shovelnose/redtail hybrid. yeah that was a mistake lol. but best ones I've had that are not big but hold their own are pictus/angelicus catfish.