cichlid's for a 35g

A

Atlantic Fish

Hi,
I have just set up a 35g 36L*12D*18H. I have kept some cichlids a long time ago, but I was wondering if any one here can help me out on what types of cichlids would work well together..I am still unsure about the whole plant issue,,right now the tank has sand on the bottom and a lot of rock around for caves and hiding areas. Any suggestions I what I should stock it with...Thanks

:DJohn

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What type of rock is it? (red/brown or white?)

Africans suck (IMO) So i'd go with either dwarf cichlids in a planted community or americans...unless it's white rock, then you have to go with boring africans ;) :p

A

Atlantic Fish

Kitten..
I have use an almost white sand on the bottom, some red lava type rock and some red and white striped rock. I think I'm going to put in a couple of plastic plants (as much as I dont want to..I want to put real ones in).  I have read that they will destroy the real plant. I would like to put in some diffrent cichlids which do not grow to large since it is only a 35g. So if you do have any suggestions for species I would appreciate it...Thanks  John

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well, if you have rocks with white stripes, thats quartz, which will buff your pH....hmmm...I'd suggest some Kribensis (africans with personality). They don't grow too big and they're cool looking  :)

Try looking for "kribensis" on yahoo or something, there's heaps of info on them.

I'm not interested in keeping africans, so i can't tell you much about them...but i think theres a dwarf species P. multifaciatus, or something...try looking at all the cichlid sites for something you like. *twirlysmiley*

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
The only live plant I would keep with cichlids is java moss. I have some in my convict tank and they tear at it sometimes but they never have destryed it.

If you want a south american cichlid try the convict, they're pretty much fool proof. If you get a male and female they will surely breed for you too. ;D *twirlysmiley*

A

Atlantic Fish

Thanks Kitten
I didnt relize that I could, I just thought that dwarfs would tear it up too. Thanks...I really didnt want to use plastic plants if I didnt have too. Still searching my LFS to find some dwarfs.. Not haveing a whole lot of luck.. Some people at the LFS dont seem to know a whole lot about which fish are really compatible with each other, and the one store that has the best selection doesnt know their actually species name,,just the common store name which makes it a little harder for me to figure it out....

John    *twirlysmiley*

A

Atlantic Fish

I have decided to stock my tank with dwarf cichlids.  Im trying to choose some species and I really not sure which to buy. Is it correct to say that the majority of dwarf cichlid's are non-aggressive??
John