clam is dying, help!

Apr 11, 2006
Anbody knows what wrong with my clam? Ok here is the info. I have a clam that is about 3 inches in my 20 gals and was doing very well until last night, I guess it had fell down from the top of my tank to the bottom of my tank next to my tube anomene for a night and a day. I picked it up and put it back to the place where it usually was but when I picked it up I notice something weird. The clam did not close, it was opening but its colorful tissue was shrunk. Right now it looks like it is dying, I tested my waterquality and it seems fine except for the fact that my nitrate is a little bit off, but that shouldn't affect the clam beside I just changed the water twice last week and the week before that. All I could concluded is that it had been stunk by the anomene, but the clam did fell down a couple times before beside the anomene but nothing happen. I could see that there is some kind of white stuffs inside the clam. Any idea how I could save my clam or is it too late. I could transfer it to my 75 gals but it doesn't have the proper lighting.

130watt compact light

Apr 11, 2006
I had it for about 6 months now. He fell a couple of times already and nothing happened before. Could snails kill clam, I put two large snail in my tank and now there is 4 small weird looking snails in my tank. They all have different shape. I don't know if they were babies from my two snails or pest that came with my live rocks. I did read about some kind of snails that could possibly kill clams.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2006
cleveland
your anomene probly stung the crap outa it that is my guess it got to close to it and it probly kept touching it with its tenecels. if thats the case its kinda like poison to the clam and he may not make it. you should never have anything close to those anomene's.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
what kind of clam is it? some like rock base and some prefer sand. Also, a 3" clam most likely is starving unless you are supplementing it. Clams under the 3" mark usually need to be supplemented with phytoplankton as they are not photo dependant yet. I have heard of people placing them in a dish with dts to feed every other day. I am not sure if you are too late or not. The clams direct site has some good info there. good luck

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well my question is about your placement. If a clam is unhappy it will move.... and if it has fallen more than once it leads me to think it isn't in a good place. I am not sure what the issue is, but I don't know if it was the anemone.

Apr 11, 2006
yea, the thing about it is that the placement place was a little bit unstable, but that is how my live rock set up turned out to be and was the closest place to the light. So sometime when my fish come by, my clam would close fast creating a movement and that how sometime it got down to the bottom. I thinking back about, I should have rearranged my live rock setting and placed my clam on a more stable place. Now my clam is dead and I guess that a lesson for me.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well if it was a crocea they usually use their foot and drill down into the rock to stablilize themselves and become permanently affixed to the spot. That is why if it was a crocea it wasn't happy in that location for what ever reason, maybe too much movement of fish close by or something. Then if not happy it wasn't feeding properly either as there is no real way to tell if they are actually ingesting the dts.......I would try another clam if I were you but try a derasa which is less dependant on the light being high intensity. The only problem with other clam types is that they can get huge and you need to be prepared for that.