Clams!

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
I now am the proud owner of 2 freashwater clams! (Corbicual sp.) There were really cool while they were aclimlimating as they were visble, but now there buried in the substrate! *twirlysmi

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i had some asian clams (Corbicula fluminea) that i took from a local stream but they didn't fare well. they survived i think for .. mm.. 3 weeks or so before they all died.. probably because my tank isn't "dirty" enough for them to filter feed. but they are definitly cool to watch while htey're alive!! ;)

ya thats why most people dont have too much succes with filter feeders cause the water is just way to clean. Things like clams, bamboo shrimp, and baby ghost shrimp need food in the water to survive but filters usualy outcompete them. I think some clams do have a parasitic stage but i think the asian ones don't. I'm not saying its impossible just gotta keep your water dirtier :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
MrParker sent me 6 FW clams about 5 months ago and they are doing fine, even making the long 3,000 mile move to OR from PA. One clam did recently get ripped to death by my yoyo loaches a few nights ago while 2 ppl in the house looked on in amazement

So now I have 5 FW clams, and one open clean clam shell

Hopefully the Yoyo loaches do not take a liking to the other 5...

LongTime

Large Fish
May 16, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
NoDeltaH2O said:
MrParker sent me 6 FW clams about 5 months ago and they are doing fine, even making the long 3,000 mile move to OR from PA. One clam did recently get ripped to death by my yoyo loaches a few nights ago while 2 ppl in the house looked on in amazement

So now I have 5 FW clams, and one open clean clam shell

Hopefully the Yoyo loaches do not take a liking to the other 5...
What and how are you feeding them?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
They filter feed to the best of my knowledge, and I provide no supplemental foods especially for them. My water is pretty clean, but since I have rapid plant growth, I overfeed the fish, and the clams sure better get something. Flakes are foten falling to the bottom of the tank where they are. Getting them was kina' an experiment for me, and it has gone well so far.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
ram man said:
i heard that the larva are parisitic is this true
The Asian Clam (Corbicula fluminea) apparently doesn't have a parasitic stage. In any case, most clams reproduce sexually, so if you only have one there shouldn't be a larva problem. I've wanted a couple clams for my tank, but I won't get any unless I know for certain that they are fluminea

Last edited:

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
I want some fresh water clams but the LFS's where I live don't carry them. I talked to the guy at the main one I shop at and he said he doubted they would get any more in since they didnt really sell and they all basicly died of old age .
I found some here for a great price ($1.29 each )---> http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1642
But its a minimum order of 30 bucks, and I dont really have any room for anything else.
:(