Clarifier

Apr 4, 2009
Yesterday I did my monthly gravel vac (40% water change) and filter maint (eheim 2215) ... water is still not "crystal clear" ... is it safe/advisable to use a "water clarifier" to make it sparkle (as I used to in the past) ?? *thumbsups

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
What do you mean by 'water clarifier'? Also usually it takes a a few hours or a day to get nice and clear after a good cleaning since everything gets stirred up

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't, anytime you're adding more chemicals to your water you're asking for trouble. Let it sit for a few days and let the gravel settle. If there is that much stuff in your tank that it makes the water cloudy with debris, consider vacuuming more often. If it's more a "milky" cloudy, that is just a bacteria bloom (a good thing) that shouldn't be disturbed and will go away on its own within a couple days.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
A bacteria bloom on an establish tank I would not consider a "good thing".

I think you over cleaned the filter possibly. Clean the pads well, and hopefully you have bio max or something like that in there that you dont touch when cleaning. If you rinse the entire filter and all the pads and media inside, your removing the bacteria from it's house and the tank has to colonize back in your filter which can lead to your water being unclear.

When I do water changes and clean my filter my tank is still clear unless I stirred up junk in the gravel..which clears in a few hours or less.